Sunday, September 27, 2020

Gifts! Yea! + YoYos

My mailbox was busy this week!  It's always wonderful to get gifts from female friends.  They send what you want not what they think you want!  😎😎


Some trims and buttons!  Just in time for my 3rd block.  The colors are perfect.  Thanks Barbara! Look at those sweet roses and hearts.  Love them! 


Last night while watching Cabaret with Liza Minnelli I dug through more vintage doilies and trims looking for likely suspects to dye.  


Because . . .  this dye arrived from Rian!  Oh boy!  Time for some red & orange & yellow doilies!   This is going to be fun! 


This morning this piece from the dark ages fell into my lap.  Stamped designs on a dirty beige background.  I think I may cut it up and see how it dyes.  The paint should act like the perfect resist.   This was fun.  I think I should try it again. 



Shirt buttons glued to a cardboard & used for a rubber stamp 

I'm continuing my exploration of YoYos.  Rian suggested a tie dye yoyo so I scrounged up a piece of rayon already dyed.  I cut 2 large circles hoping for some really cool flowers.  I've added some lame, silk, plaids and some cheap costume fabrics to the mix.  They all have some great possibilities, right?  I'm separating motifs from doilies that also look like they will be good flowers (and maybe will also dye well).




 
Lots of movement with the stripes & plaids


I had a little piece of trim already gathered so stuck it behind this costume fabric yoyo.  I have some dangling beads for the bottom.


This is a silk yoyo from a blouse.  Very soft.  I'm unsure how I'll work with it but I like it! 

Today I am working with my machine embroidery software that changes graphed designs to a program the machine can read and stitch.  These will be little bits to add to my crazy quilts. 

After the fact I can see I missed a X.  Oh well.  Who cares, really?  This is about 1" x 7" & took 3 minutes to stitch.  It took a bit longer to graph (which is the real work) but it sure is a cool addition to crazy quilt supplies.   Obviously, this is a simple design but I could flip, mirror, elongate and such with it for all kinds of ideas.



Stitched on a piece of white linen. With a quick glance it almost looks hand stitched. 

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬




3 comments:

  1. Amazing that the pattern can be converted to your machine! I am impressed that you're so savvy! Love the colors & different textures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most embroidery software is pretty sophisticated. Some professional software is at the level of professional Photoshop software. This program is very basic but it gets nice results.

      Delete
  2. And isn't all that just perfect for your CQ blocks? I look forward to your dying projects.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!