Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Weather Forecast: Rainy with a Chance of Quilting

I can't complain about the weather because we do need the rain; but, it's throwing a detour in my landscaping plans.  Rain is forecast for the entire week.  As I write it is not raining but by the time the crew would arrive, heavy rains are expected.  I've waited awhile to start the landscaping.  What's a few more days? 

I woke this morning excited to start on my 3 improvisational strippy quilts!  Everything is prepared so I can spend today and the next couple of rainy days piecing on my longarm.  It's a great change of pace.  I have to keep the sewing procedures varied to save my hands and back.  Too many repetitive tasks too long cause pain and take the fun away from sewing.  I'm sure you understand! 


Winding a big supply of bobbins


I figured out a rough estimation of the 3 quilts using some fabric supplies and scraps I have on hand.  A few years ago I became interested in the idea of buying thrifted juvenile linens and reworking them for quilts.  At the time I was seeing a lot of gathered crib skirts which have long fabric pieces.  I thought they would be good for quilt borders. 

 I successfully turned a few of them into gathered apron tops.   The top section of this apron was once a crib skirt.  I have a nice green stripe crib skirt set aside for a gathered patchwork skirt for myself.  Maybe this summer? 


In the pile of pieces was a patchwork crib skirt.  It has been waiting for its 2nd debut.
I'm using it as the backbone of the 1st improv strippy quilt. 


Earlier in the summer my neighbor brought over 8 large garbage sized bags of fabrics.  Most of it is decorator weight.  I don't have a problem using it for community quilts.  I envision these quilts living a hard long life and if the fabric is a bit heavier than quilting cotton the quilts may last even longer.  I'll be mixing in some of those prints today too.  


Time to start! 

Join the Conversation! 
Do you have any reclaimed fabric ideas to share? 

1 comment:

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!