Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Houston Furniture Bank: Improvisational Quilts

As it turned out there wasn't any rain yesterday.  So much for the 80% prediction.  And, when I might have had a tiny bit of interest in getting started on the landscaping the crew was working on something else.  By nightfall the rains started and now the yard that formerly resembled concrete is soggy and flooded.  Today's forecast is 100% chance of rain.  I'm not even going to consider yard work.

Returning to my default setting, I started longarm sewing the 3 improvisational quilts.  These are strictly as they are.  No real design effort exerted.
About ¾ into stitching the 1st one, I remembered a pile of improv strips I worked on in January 2018.  We had a few weeks of freezing weather & I was concerned about the news of Houston folks freezing on the street.  I pulled out some of my heavier cottons (drapery weight) with the intention of sewing some street quilts.  I felt the heavier fabrics would last a little longer on the streets. 

I finished one (below) and gave it to a local homeless man who has been out on the streets about 15 years.  I see him quite often picking up litter along the roads.  He graciously accepted the quilt and a tote bag full of clothes.


This year I have partnered with the Houston Furniture Bank so I will let them distribute the quilts to Houston families they serve. 

These are the strips and one set has been incorporated into a quilt already.
The other 3 are on today's list.



Yesterday's Progress:  2 Tops sewn/quilted  (60 x 72")


This is the quilt using the thrifted patchwork crib skirt.  That gaudy plaid was a  Ralph Lauren sundress!  It adds a bit of oomph to a dull group of prints.


I only had one piece of the safari print so I tried to get it about in the middle of the quilt.  For being a conglomeration of prints this quilt is actually pretty decent.  I expect these quilts to have a lot of hard use & last a long time.  They have thrifted fleece blankets as the batting.



I was so inspired by yesterday's work, I pulled out more drapery prints.  I would really like to eliminate them and the huge tub of thrifted fleece blankets from my storage room this year.  They work well together because the prints are heavy enough I don't have to worry about the fleece print showing through the top.  The fleece is stout enough to support the weight of the prints.

Join the Conversation!
What fabrics would you like to eliminate from your stash?  Why? 
 ðŸ’¬ðŸ’¬ðŸ’¬

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You and your long-arm machine are a real partnership in getting things done! I don't think I've ever seen anyone with such a variety of interesting scraps as you have....and using those fleece blankets is going to make your quilts last forever. I love the first piece with the black squares! Simple but so fetching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, those fleece blankets are going to be around a very long time. No shifting lumpy batting like the old quilts. It's good to be able to reclaim them.

      Delete
  2. These quilts are always beautiful and well-designed. I was reminded of the utility of using various and repurposed materials yesterday when I happened into a JoAnns. The fabric supply is very significantly depleted, at least in my area. The shelfs were pretty bare, plus at least one LYS has closed. This makes me appreciate my stash and my flexibility as a maker. You’re demonstrating an important set of skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my best influence when it comes to thinking outside the quilting box! I've learned so much from you!

      Delete
  3. I really like the one you gave the homeless man on the street. It's great that he's a self-appointed street cleaner. He's providing a service that's needed, and yesterday, at least, he received a service in return. Win-win. The fabrics you're using make wonderful quilts, and I have to compliment you on doing a great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Ruben is a dedicated street worker. He has a 10 mile radius he covers weekly picking up all manner of trash. Everyone seems to know him. He's in his own little world and I guess he's happy there.

    Just working through the stash. These heavier fabrics seem to work best using big pieces in open designs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!