Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Grateful Threads Project: Improvisational Quilt 4

I haven't taken it off the longarm yet but the 4th Improvisational Strippy Quilt is quilted.  It's a humdinger at 72 x 86 inches so I want to have the binding made before I cut it loose from the frame.  Then I can go directly to the domestic machine and sew on the binding.

I have started cutting my binding at 4" wide.  It gives a nice border look to the edge.  It's also easier to turn to the front for top stitching without wrangling with a bulky edge.

©Debra L Dixon 2020


I can't tell about the entire quilt but from the snippets I like what I see.  The plain strips between the improv strips seems to have been a good idea.  I'll have to use that idea more; unfortunately my stash of prints compared to suitable solids is probably 99 to 1. 

©Debra L Dixon 2020

©Debra L Dixon 2020

©Debra L Dixon 2020

©Debra L Dixon 2020

And, of course, there are still scraps of Improv pieces lingering from this set of 4 quilts. 

I can't hear or concentrate well on the audio books when I am quilting on the longarm.  They are perfect for when I am sewing on the domestic machine.  So I think I'll pull together the remaining scraps and add some new pieces for another Improv quilt while I finish listening to Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.  

It's not a good gardening day.  The ground is soggy and it may even rain again today.  Sounds like a good day to sew.  Frankly, any day is a good day to sew.  Who am I kidding?  

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬

2 comments:

  1. I love your 4” binding idea. I’m going to have to try that one. Another beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the larger quilts it is so much easier. I like the flat look too.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!