Sunday, June 28, 2020

How I Plan a Quilt

I didn't have the energy to bind the large Improv quilt yesterday.  I did however have the energy to root around in my home decorator fabrics and design another quilt.  Strange how that happens!  😎😎  I know my working habits and I trust everything will get finished when needed.  Lately I am cutting myself some slack and following more whims.  It's good to be free sometimes.

I rarely design a quilt & then pull fabrics.  I mainly pull fabrics and then design a quilt. 

I ask questions like:

  • how can I utilize only 2 squares of this fabric?
  • what is the best use of this large scale print?
  • what layout might work well with these fabrics?
  • what are the major colors?
  • how can I blend these fabrics?
  • what can I add for contrast?
  • what size will I want to sew the quilt?
  • will I be able to sew it on the longarm (faster)?
  • who is the recipient?
  • can I use fleece or do I need batting (which is precious)? 
I originally thought I would sew the scraps from the last quilt into a new quilt but as it turned out, there weren't enough scraps.  That is indeed an odd statement coming from a quilter.  So I set aside what I do have and will add more as I complete quilts until I have enough for another scrappy Improvisational Quilt. 

I looked more thoroughly through the fabrics on my home dec shelves. I found 2 squares of about 26" of a Jacobean print.  I have no idea from where it came but I know where it is going.

Question:  Should I use 1 square for 1 quilt or combine both squares for 1 quilt?

If I loved the print, I might have opted for 2 quilts. When looking for companion fabrics, I only had enough for one good sized quilt if I used both squares on 1 quilt.

A big focal point print says one thing to me: Medallion Quilt.  In this case 2 big medallion squares.

Really tough math here: 


The borders surrounding the focal print will be different on each square.  Here is the red floral of which I have 4 bolts.  It was used in drapes in a previous house but I still like it.  I might consider it for drapes in my house at one point.  Who knows? 

 Here I scavenged a small piece for the outside border.  That plaid was a set of thrifted valances.  Such interesting associations.  I love that about quilts.


I love this green curtain.  Unfortunately, I only have the one curtain.  Once I took out the hem and header it was long enough for the side borders.  I should be able to capture the scale of the print well too.  


I would have gladly paid $3.93 but happily paid $1.91 for it.




Fleece blankets are fused and ready.



I had this fabric already sewn for another quilt backing.  I trimmed it down so I have enough for a generous binding too.  It's a soft blue with a nice hand.  

So there we have the beginning of the next quilt.  Depending upon the upcoming weather I may or may not be starting my landscaping projects.  If not, I have the next quilt planned and ready to go.


Are you familiar with Rosie Lee Tompkins?  She is an African American quilter active in the 1970s through the early 2000s?  She was discovered by Eli Leon who became her encourager and championed many shows of her quilts.  Upon his recent death, he gave BAMPFA, the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive of the University of California, Berkeley his collection of 3000 American quilts; 500 were sewn by Rosie Lee Tompkins.  It's a staggering collection and is forcing BAMPFA to expand their museum in unprecedented ways.  

To view the virtual exhibit, follow this link.  Be sure to give yourself an hour to listen to the guided tour.  It's well worth the time.   Thanks to my friend Barbara for bringing this jewel to my attention. 

Next Audio Book:                


 Still working my way through Anna Karenina

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬






6 comments:

  1. You are excellent at your layout and your design. There is a lot of math that is used in putting it all together. You know your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great fabrics that look great together. I like the combination of the plaid with the florals. Tracy Chevalier’s other novels are also worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the plaid in there too. I just had a little piece-enough for one border.

      Delete
  3. It's fun to see your process for this quilt. I look forward to seeing it all together, and the next one, too! That's a huge collection, and an amazing bequest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!