Friday, June 26, 2020

The Grateful Threads Project: 3 Improvisational Quilts

I may not have gotten the expected landscaping started this week but I certainly stayed focused on the Improvisational Strippy Quilts!  These are a big chunk of wonderful to be gifted to the Houston Furniture Bank this fall. 

As I've said previously it is so liberating to sew, sew, sew and not have the nagging questions:  will someone like it?  will it match her bedroom?  is it too girly?  is it big enough?  is it age appropriate?  The Granddaddy of them all:  will it sell?
Houston Furniture Bank serves 8 families daily.  There will be someone who loves each quilt. 


This is a great little reclaimed fabric quilt.  The rectangles are the from the patchwork crib skirt, the plaid was a sundress, the horse and animal prints, the red ticking stripe were from the 8 bags of fabric my neighbor dropped over here a month ago.



Lots of pretty florals here!  I bought the navy blue Ralph Lauren print at a thrift store about 8 years ago.  It was a bundle of long pieces probably left from a decorating project.  The big red roses were some of Mary's stash and the green floral was from the 8 bags from my neighbor. 


This is a major conglomeration of pieces: leftover striped drapery pieces from my apron business with my son, denim pieces, cotton towels Mary gave me, some decorator prints from the early 1990s, the last length of that horse print. 


This is all that's left of the 6½ yards of gabardine Cindy sent me!  It worked well for the backing complimenting the heavier front fabrics with its soft supple hand.  It's not color matchy matchy with the front prints and I'm fine with that. 

I'm planning to finish one more of the Improvisational Strippy quilts today.  It has 4 very scrappy sections and I am alternating them with tan solid.  I'm not a fan of tan but I do want it to look more masculine and I own tan fabric.  So there you go. 

Currently spending time listening to Trevor Noah's well crafted memoir:  Born a Crime.  Worth your time this summer to have a listen.



Join the Conversation!
What have you accomplished this week? 
💬💬💬

9 comments:

  1. Those quilts are amazing! It surprises me how such disparate fabrics can play so well together. I’d love to be able to get that loose and jinky (just made that word up). And I freakin’ LOVE Trevor Noah! I’ve never been able to get into audio books, but I’ll have to try this one because I love his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loose and jinky! Yea Baby! Just let go and do it!

      Delete
  2. You are right. Someone is going to be very warm and happy with these sturdy attractive quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They would be good for building forts on the floor too! I hope they are practical and useful.

      Delete
  3. Your quilts are looking so beautiful! What great ideas you've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just trying some ideas without judgment.

      Delete
  4. These are so beautiful! I can tell you’re really working in your creative happy place with these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and I might even open some space on my crammed shelves too! That would be wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I just bought the book by Trevor Noah and am looking forward to reading it. Oh, and of course, I love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!