Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Chef Aprons


A few years ago Brent and I teamed up to produce a line of commercial chef aprons.  At the time he was the head chef for the Product Development Kitchen at HEB grocery store.  He spent all day in an apron and was more than familiar with the industry requirements.  He also saw the crazy expensive cutting edge aprons named chefs were buying.  

Working with Brent was exciting & we make a good team.  We thought he would be able to market them but time killed that assumption.  Now that he is in management his time is even more scheduled.  An easy solution would be requiring all his stores to buy his line of aprons but then there  are ethics.  Yaknow.  😎😎   I don't have the connections to market them but yaknow, it's 2020, I could make those connections.  I could do a lot of things.  Like, it's all possible.  

With my renewed effort to sell finished items I am listing these aprons on-line.  I am also reevaluating how fun it is to sew aprons.  They appeal to my desire to be casually creative with a few supplies.  With a bit of showcasing aprons in general could be great to sell at the spring markets.  I think I prefer what I refer to as "domestic aprons" vs. the professional industrial aprons.  But, of course, the domestic cook wants to buy an apron for $25 and the professional chef will spend upwards of $175 for an apron. 

Aprons are so underrated.  Kinda like quilts.  



One of my favorite personal aprons


A commissioned apron featuring reclaimed denim & embroidery 

What do you think?  How have aprons appeared in your life?
Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬




4 comments:

  1. I’ve sewn all types of aprons over the years. It started when I began collecting vintage apron patterns and matched them to vintage kitchen prints, or modern prints, or a mix of them both. Also, Gerry Krueger used to make and sell heavy duty aprons from denim overall bibs and home dec fabrics for the skirts back in the 1990’s. Then about 10-12 years ago when she was cleaning out her barn, she sent me boxes of the floral home dec fabrics and some bibs. I supplemented those with bibs from the thrift store. It was fun finding kids’ overalls and matching the bib tops to cute kids fabrics. Aprons are fun for girls (and boys) to wear when they play in the kitchen or to wear as art aprons to protect their clothes. Check out my blog (see the sidebar label ‘apron’). You’ll have to scroll through the posts about current (boring) aprons I’ve made, vintage aprons I’ve collected, etc., but then you’ll get to some of the more creative ones in the older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your aprons are so beautiful, I hope you make lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but I like that Dia de los Muertos-looking one at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I sewed it, I thought about sewing one as a dress. I may still get there!

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!