Sunday, December 22, 2019

Beauty in the 'Hood: Where the Sidewalk Ends

Yesterday's 3½ mile walk was around my extended neighborhood.  I live in an area called The Colonies.  Each of the sections is named such names as Jamestown Colony, Georgetown Colony, Charlestown Colony and such.  On my side of the main street dividing the various neighborhoods, they all run together.  I decided to follow the sidewalks in a huge loop that ended up covering a few neighborhoods.  I reassured myself that I could find my way home instinctively.  I was right; but, I had My Maps App available should I need it!  No reason to go out unprepared!

I wish more people had been outside.  I like to chat with my neighbors.  I walked by a man who was neatening up his flower beds.  He had his back to me.  Shortly afterward I heard a loud cheerful Merry Christmas!  So I turned and called back to him!

I didn't know where Jamestown Colony ended and Georgetown Colony started. A nice little conversation with Nelson, a young man who told me he walked his dog around the area, verified I was not in Jamestown Colony anymore.  I hope he is out again when I pass by.  I'll ask him to walk with me.

Toward the end of Georgetown Colony were 3 home sites totally gone.  The houses were replaced with major equipment.   I could tell homes had originally stood there by the huge trees planted like they had once adorned a home.  Georgetown Colony backs up to a bayou & as one neighbor told me later in my walk, the Corp of Engineers were dredging the bayou and adding larger drainage pipes.  The houses on that end had flooded so much the homeowners were glad to have the city buy their houses and move.   That end was a horrific mess during Hurricane Harvey.   I'm grateful for the Corp of Engineers' work.  My end of Jamestown Colony is high and dry but it was nerve wracking during Hurricane Harvey wondering if I would flood or not.  I didn't.  Thankfully.

On my final leg of my walk I noticed as I crossed the imaginary line from Georgetown Colony to Jamestown Colony, the sidewalk ended.   ðŸ˜€ðŸ˜€



Please Join the Conversation!
What do you notice when walking?

💬💬💬

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a walkable neighborhood, at least not by someone of my age. There are steep hills in all directions, and I live near the top of the ridge, so really nothing flat anywhere close. I can't do the hills any more, but when I drive, especially in spring or fall, I've lived here long enough to look for specific pretty flowering trees, or bright colored fall trees. I know who has tulips and who has flowering cherries, who has bright red maples. I wish I could walk it all, but I'd have to drop at least a decade. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other day it was raining outside so I walked the mall. It is near church and I was there for a funeral. The mall has a pretty steep set of stairs and I climbed them. My knees groaned but I kept going! My right hip has a tendency to get a little out of alignment but so far the walking hasn't hurt it.

      Delete
  2. I love walking my neighborhood and the agricultural land that surrounds us. One of the bonuses is getting to know all the neighbors (and their dogs), as well as appreciating my environment. Sarah and I have had many great walks since we’ve adopted her. She’s a great walking partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my dogs walked politely; but, they don't. I'm determined to walk without them & not feel guilty for leaving them home.

      I'm on a quest to find new places to walk!

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!