Saturday, November 9, 2019

Jacket to Dress Conversion Progress

Friday I was able to get some steps completed and prepare a list of ideas.  I definitely like the direction this project is taking so far.


I'm reserving the large floral print for a quilted shawl/poncho.  I always need something over my shoulders so this might be a new wardrobe addition-a shawl to match my ensembles.

I sewed a little flip and stitch onto a cotton muslin for the skirt "cumberband" look to give the black and white check a little length. The black and white check weight matches the jacket weight well but the cottons by themselves would have been a little too light so the muslin lining is perfect.  It also finished all the seams.  I'll repeat the idea to lengthen the jacket/bodice sleeves.




I mocked up the bodice with some trims and the buttons.  I'll repeat the trims on the sleeves too.  I might put some beads on the trims.


On the bottom of the skirt I pulled one of my skull embroideries I had already stitched.  It was in a frame for one of my shows but was knocked off the shelf and the frame broke.  So I think I'll just keep it for myself.  I've had these floral embroideries awhile.  One is a shirt and it has some smaller embroideries I'll try on the bodice yokes.


I want to put the orange crocheted trim around the bottom of the skirt and add some more jelly roll strips sewn vertically.  Lastly, I have 2 napkins I think will work for pockets on the skirt.

The issue is the spot to cut the jacket for a bodice.  I removed the pockets which was an ordeal.  The bar tacks were long and strong.  It's always a gamble there isn't fading underneath and in this case, there wasn't any.  
I'm envisioning a long silhouette with a little tie in the back to pull in the waistline.  So it would be a dropped waistline.  I could also cut near the waist which would work well & allow for the border at the bottom of the skirt. 





This is really turning into a fun project!  I'm trying to keep it simple.  I love the jelly rolls.  I can certainly understand how sewers and quilters could get hooked using them. 

Join the Conversation!
It's great fun to hear your ideas!
💬💬💬

4 comments:

  1. I like the way your mind works. I didn't understand all of it, but I like it. I look forward to seeing these things come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when someone says they like how my mind works! how nice of you to say that!

      I'll post as I go so you can watch it unfold.

      Delete
  2. What a fun process. How would this look if you turned the skirt upside-down and raised the waist? I’m just thinking that those bands across the middle might be hard to wear and a natural waist line might be more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought of flipping the band to the bottom but I will still need some length added to the skirt. I've thought about a ruffle too.

      Now that the pockets are off (they weren't taken off in the picture) it may be easier to work with the jacket at waist line length. Really only about 3" shorter than it looks in the picture because the jacket is very cropped.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!