Friday, November 8, 2019

Debra's Project: Jacket to Dress Conversion

A few years ago I bought this thrifted jacket with the idea of embroidering the daylights out of it.  One embroidered design in and it got tossed in the UFO pile.  I've pulled it out several times and I always end up putting it back.  I'd donate it were it not for the complicated embroidery on the back.





This season I've decided to sew more ensembles I can layer. I remembered this jacket and pulled it out again.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really fit me comfortably as a jacket like it did when I bought it. Sigh.  It does, however, have some features I like for embellishing or embroidery:
1. Open & easily accessible yokes
2. Solid attractive color
3. Straight body without darts
4. Seam below the yoke perfect for enhancing
5. Gathers & ruffled neckline are a nice touch

It's disadvantages are
1.  Super hideous buttons
2.  ¾ length sleeves   (while I normally like this length for summer, during winter I prefer a long sleeve)
3.  Length is too short
4.  Pockets are a joke!

I do think with some additional work and the courage to cut this jacket, I can sew it into a nice long dress.

I pulled some resources. ha!  The skull embroidery has some complementary pieces I can sprinkle around the front of the jacket or on the added skirt part.






Can you see a fun lively personality starting to develop for this cute little jacket? 

If it were your jacket, what would you do to change it?

Please Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬

7 comments:

  1. Being large-chested, I always avoid patterns with gathers above the chest. Instant maternity look for me, LOL. I was going to suggest adding a peplum, but that was from looking at the back. It would only work with a more tailored look, sans gathers. I don’t know how willing you are with the seam ripper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a flat chested gal, I always look for added volume in the bust area! Ha! Ha! isn't it funny how we view clothes?
      My rule of thumb on reclaiming clothes is not to change them so much that it would have been easier to start from scratch.

      Delete
  2. I'd have to change that neckline because anything that high totally drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand any neckline that shows cleavage. Lately I've been putting tshirts under tshirts that have the popular low neckline.
      I really like the ruffles so I won't be changing the neckline or front opening at all.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine it! The buttons - yes, and wow! And who says buttons all have to match each other. I'm looking forward to seeing your new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the coordinating fabrics you pulled. I’m curious about how this one will evolve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!