Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Coins Quilt: Refining My Ideas

One characteristic I admire about myself is my ability to see a project isn't going as planned and to adjust.  That happened last night on my Coins Quilt.

After pleasurably sewing a very large stack of strips and cutting them into coins, I quickly realized I had more than enough coins for a twin sized quilt.  I actually have enough for a queen sized quilt. 
I also realized that I love these fabrics so much I doubt I want to sell this quilt.  In that split second or two this project morphed into my own queen sized quilt.

I ran over to my EQ program and did a little adjusting of borders and widths to determine that I would need 7 rows of the 10" wide coins. 
I sat the 8" wide coins aside along with the yellow backing fabrics.  Those can become the twin sized quilt that I can sell. 
I also did a quick negotiation with myself and decided "nah, I don't want the traditional borders around the whole quilt.  I'd rather construct this strippy style on the longarm."  I can see it going on  the longarm this afternoon. 

Then I roamed the shelves and boxes of my storage room looking for the strips and backing.  After pulling and tugging at various mental design ideas I decided to keep the strips consistent.  Likewise, instead of my usual pieced backing, I am using a one fabric backing.

I am tickled pink (see what I did there?) how this quilt top is coming together.  It's just melting me.  I love it! 


The pieced coin strips will be separated by the blue gingham check strip.


The backing will be the rosebuds on white fabric. 

I'll have more pictures for you tomorrow!  

Have a Creative Day, Y'All! 



2 comments:

  1. I adore that rosebud fabric. This is going to be a great quilt for you, so I'm glad you made that decision. The tiny gingham is wonderful with your strips, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, soft and cheerful definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!