Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Delivering the 1st Houston Street Quilt


This happened on Sunday afternoon:

As I was coming home from the thrift store this afternoon, I saw Ruben the homeless man who stays near my neighborhood. I've been watching for him and I had his quilt in my SUV. I knew he stayed near the thrift store area so I was happy to see him. I pulled into the HEB parking lot and jumped out of my SUV. He had stopped by the parking lot entrance waiting for me.
I told him I saw him a few weeks ago and had sewn a quilt for him. Would he accept it? 
He told me he would so I gave it to him. But, first we took a second to look at it. I told him I had used heavy fabrics so it would last. He told me he lives at the nearby park.
He put it under his arm and picked up his bag of collected cans and walked away.
I went in HEB and cried.



Gene and I have gathered some clothes into one of the patchwork totebags I sewed.  We're going out this evening to find Ruben and deliver them to him.  

***


One of the crosses from the huge collection adorning the walls at Memorial Drive United Methodist Church. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you two have kind hearts. The things I know that seem to be used up or disappear the fastest are socks and underwear. Also, I know that many of these people have poor circulation, and even in warm weather, their hands and feet are cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We included some underwear and socks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!