Sunday, August 16, 2020

Great Results!

 I accomplished a surprisingly large amount of work yesterday!  As I go I see something that brings a new or refined idea to mind.  It's helpful to let the ideas roll around a little.  I can stop for awhile and explore them before going forward.

My friend sold me his chalk painted table & delivered it yesterday.  It's lovely.  I immediately liked it when he brought it to one of the 1st art markets.  I'm so happy to have it for my kitchen.  I also have a small chair my neighbor traded me for some aprons at Christmas time a few years ago.  It's been hiding in the fabric storage room.  Together they finish out this area.

I still have the woodwork to paint in this area but I want to get the rearranging & decluttering finished before I start on the painting again.  




Huge progress in the office-needlework room!  I didn't have a concrete plan for the room other than I wanted a place where I could stitch handwork and maybe have my computer.   I think in the back of my mind I knew I wanted it to have a nostalgic feel and a connection to my past.  

As I've been working I've been sifting through artwork, curtains, pictures and accessories trying to pull together themes.  It's been a fun way to assess what I have and what I feel like I can donate.  Some things are really precious to me.  It's good to find that out and acknowledge it. 




This was the room when I went to bed last night.  I was determined to hang the sets of pictures!  This gallery wall idea is working out very well for me!  
I still intend to make covers for the shelves but I wanted to get them in place first.


The yellow framed printed cross stitch is a thrifted find, one of my recent abstract pieces and then the fish cross stitch I stitched in 1994.  At the time I was in my "fish period".  Don't ask me why! 




I now have these 2 IKEA bookcases on either side of the large window.  They frame the space nicely and I can have pictures of my sons on them.  

I stitched the Hurter House cross stitch in 1988.  I remember it as a lot of work. I was heavily into my cross stitch period then; along with some quilting.   Even though I am no longer married to Brent's dad, I still love the piece and it's very important to me.  Steve gave me the handmade pottery piece in front of it.  
He knew I liked it.  I was an art gallery docent at the time and he made sure my mother who was visiting bought it for me from him on Valentine's Day.  He worked downtown Chicago & couldn't get to the gallery during daytime hours.  He was always a very thoughtful gift giver.

My mother stitched the quilt crewel sometime in the 1970s when she was heavily into her crewel stage.  Remember crewel embroidery?  I wonder why it doesn't make a resurgence now?






The other side of the supply shelves offered another good space for some favorite needlework. 


I picked up this custom  framed lace piece along with 2 complementary pieces a few years ago at Goodwill.  I was blown away the 3 of them together cost me $15.  hello!  of course I wanted them!


Two of my recent abstract fiber pieces.  These are so much fun!


Another typical period printed cross stitch piece; probably 1970s.  How could I resist at $1.99? 


Another vintage cross stitch from the Goodwill.  It's expertly stitched with triple mats and non-glare glass.  I couldn't let it die in the picture bins. 


My long-time friend Toni stitched this cross stitch to commemorate my marriage to my last husband.  Because I love her and I know she spent many hours stitching it, I continue to hang it.  I love samplers.  Now that I am setting up this needlework room I could foresee getting back into sampler stitching myself.   



This is just a pretty oil painting I picked up because it is pretty.  Some days I give into pretty! 

I keep massaging my bedroom.  While sorting thrifted sheets and duvet covers I pulled this twin sized one aside.  I've been thinking something is a little too sweet about this room.  Adding the duvet as a topper and changing the bedskirt to red has given the room some oomph.  If I decide to keep the duvet cover, I can open it up and it will fit the bed better.  


Last night as I was drifting off to sleep I thought about this large knit yardage I stitched earlier this year.  It's wide enough for a queen sized quilt and with an additional length added, it could be long enough.  I also have a cache of patchwork pillows and a few gorgeous wall hangings.  

I'm beginning to think this is the direction I want to go in my new bedroom.  It's a very large room so it could accommodate the bold colors.  

I'll let this idea bounce around in my head awhile.  It would certainly be nice to have most of the "sewing work" finished already.  And, really, why not have some of my best pieces for myself?   Wouldn't that be a nice affirmation of self-love?



Join the Conversation!

💬💬💬

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are happy my with chalk painted table.
    Gene

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table and chair do look great together. I never realized you had done so much XS, because I guess I didn't know you back then. Your house is going to be so different by the time you finish! You did a lot of work over the past few days, between this and the last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling very motivated right now. I have to work while that motivation is high or it could be another 6 years!

      Delete
  3. Your stitching room looks like an inspiring space. Everything looks so beautiful, and you’re surrounded by your special pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's fabulous to unpack some special pieces for display again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!