Saturday, August 15, 2020

Tackling the Fabric Storage Room

The fabric storage room destashing has begun! 

When you don't have a dolly, you turn to another alternative.  Work smarter not harder!  My back thanked me! 


I started sorting  household linens and some of my artwork that will go to the clients at the Houston Furniture Bank.  After last week's load I was surprised I still had more to contribute to them.  I am really being ruthless!  

I found a pretty short tablecloth I'd stitched a few years ago that works well for my round table.  I haven't painted the legs yet but I will. 
I was worried about the table's scale but I think it will work. 
I still need to hang pictures over the couch.  I have to get some larger nails.


This pile of bags and boxes are going to another stitcher later in the week. 



When I started I could not get back into this corner.  I couldn't even see the wall! 



I won't be stitching pieced backings any more.  These tubs are stuffed with flat sheets and 58" wide yardage pieces.  It was good to look through them again to see what I have to use.  

I'll use those white sheets for the lining on my sitting room drapes. Sheets make great drapery linings.  I've been using them for years.  They are wide, long and have the hem already stitched.  What's not to love? 


This is my huge tub of collected thrifted fleece blankets.  I use them for batting.  I really have to work down this stash soon.  That may not be a problem since I have about 35 quilt tops ready to be quilted for the Houston Furniture Bank.  



I am hoping to move 2 of my shelves to the current guest room which is slowly becoming my office/needlework room.  I envision setting up a space for handwork so I want my embroidery supplies in there.  I've set aside some yellow drapery fabric to sew some covers & hide the miscellaneous boxes.  I think that will eventually help the overload coming to the studio space.  

I doubt I will be sleeping in the master bedroom soon.  I still have a lot of fabric in there but I do feel like I am making positive headway eliminating fabric I will never sew.  With a mindset to keep (mainly) the fabrics for community quilts and some decorating fabrics for my house, I've been able to let go of the miscellaneous fabrics I've been keeping for ages just in case I needed them.  I haven't needed them in 20 years, I bet I won't need them tomorrow.  (My luck I will!  Ha! ha!) 

All this moving and arranging really takes a lot of effort and thought.  I am trying very hard to maintain the chaos in small areas.  I don't want to disrupt my other spaces any more than absolutely necessary.  It helps me feel like I am accomplishing more when some areas are orderly.  I'm still tweaking here and there.  That's a fun little pause in the midst of the chaos! 

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a lot of work, but reviewing and sorting supplies should give you a sense of the immediate projects you want to make. Good luck, take breaks and rest in between boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with your accomplishments in destashing....some parts of it are easy (seeing the light of day in a formerly dark corner) and some are not (will I ever NEED that again?)....there's a certain kind of ruthlessness and bravery required! Awhile back I found a big piece of fabric I really wasn't crazy about and sent it off to the thrift shop...only a few days later I pulled out an unfinished top from years ago that had that very fabric as a partial inner border and it really fit the bill there but now I no longer had that fabric to complete the border and I could have kicked myself. Then I decided that I could probably find something just as good in the rest of my stash if I hunted long enough but I haven't had the impetus to do so yet....arggg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!