Sunday, October 27, 2019

Raw Edge Shawl Finished!

With the Houston quilt show popping up this week, I decided to finish a project I started earlier in the year.  Or last year?   I thought I wanted to keep the outside
edges raw but the thought of clipping all the base threads sent me to another solution.  I wimped out and lined it.   I used 2 very lightweight scarves from the thrift.  They are cotton and the weave is fairly open.  Not a dream to sew by any stretch of the imagination.






I put the shawl on my longarm and stitched the scarves (now one piece) around the edges.  I trimmed, turned, ironed the edges and topstitched.  Now I don't have to clip the threads on the back.  Win for me!  Ready to wear!




The birds and the plaid are the 2 scarves joined for the lining.  Wretched fabric to sew-all loosey goosey.

I wish I could say this shawl used a ton of tshirt scraps but then I'd be lying.  Momma didn't raise no liar.  😎😎

That's the drawback to the raw edge collage sewing, it doesn't really use enough fabric to make a difference in the stash amounts.  



Join the Conversation!  
Planning to "wear" this to the show on Thursday.  I could also nap under it if my legs give out which is always a possibility at the International Quilt Festival! 
💬💬💬



5 comments:

  1. But it did use up a lot of itty bitty pieces! Love the colorfulness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should be grateful for that small blessing! :-)
      Unfortunately, I have 2 huge rubbermaid tubs of itty bitty pieces.

      Delete
  2. That was a good solution, and the shawl looks great on you. I'm sure you'll get comments about it at the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled together an outfit to wear under it this morning. It can be pretty chilly in the convention center so I like layers.

      Delete
  3. I did my own version of raw edge quilts for a children's outdoor school. They work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!