Thursday, October 31, 2019

IQF 2019:The Altar Quilts

International Quilt Festival didn't disappoint.  There were many lovely quilts & the workmanship was superb on most of them.  A very large exhibit from SAQA was excellent.  Layered and Stitched: 50 Years of Innovative Art was a retrospective with quilts from leading quilt artists.  It was fabulous to see the trends and the artist statements made with signature quilts.  Here's the link to the slide show.

My other favorite exhibit was Altar Offerings: Memory Quilts, Love, Loss and Honor.  These were the works of students in a workshop of designer and artist Jane Tenorio-Coscarelli.  Her website is here.

Here is a selection of the pieces mounted at the show.


















Here is the quilt I stitched to honor my son Will Hurter (21) struck by a car & killed on Halloween night 2001 while walking to a friend's house for a party.  I have my altar set up for him today.




Still missing you Sugar! 


My friend Barbara and I collaborated on some wonderful Virgin Mary quilts in the mid 2000s.  You can view them here at The Madonna Idea.   (The links to my previous blog are inactive.) 

Please Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬



7 comments:

  1. I can see why these pieces resonate with you. And I could see you offering this as a service though I bet it might be emotionally draining. Or uplifting. Someone I am sure would love to have this type of memorial piece made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these great ofrendas, including your wonderful piece for Will. It’s good to know there’s an artist teaching workshops where people can make these pieces for their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite an emotionally impressive body of work, seen one after another. I know you will go on missing Will. The years don't matter. Thank you for sharing a bit of your trip to the show, and your personal loss, as well as the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all outstanding looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you! emotional and so meaningful to see them all together as you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss. Will left you much too young. His soul lives forever in your heart. Blessing always.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!