Saturday, November 2, 2019

Debra's Project: Patchwork Bathrobe

Thank you for your thoughtful comments on my post about the Altar quilts.  Very nice!  I enjoy what you have to say!

It turned a little chilly this week.  On Friday morning I got up hunting through my closet for my old faithful fleece bathrobe.  Then I remembered I had banished it from use last year!  It's really gross.  But, being who I am, I decided to keep it with the thought of remaking it into a new bathrobe.  My plan was to sew patchwork and use it as the inner layer; basically the same process I use for my quilts.



You know how those ideas sound in your head?  Yea, this one was like that.  When I "really" thought about it, I realized I wouldn't know where the edges were on the bathrobe when it was sandwiched in the middle. If I wanted a guide I would have to draw & cut a paper pattern ahead of time.  OK, this is already sounding like more than a weekend's work.  I shuffled through my patterns.  At some time in the past I decided to sew coats to sell.  Did you see them?  Me either.  But, I have the patterns. And, it's very possible this bathrobe experiment will lead to patchwork coats.  I believe in timing. 😎

My favorite bathrobe (and coat) has either a large collar or a hood.  I can't handle my neck getting cold.   This pattern seems to be perfect for my needs!  The Fast & Easy is appealing!  😎 




Also on my radar screen lately has been a large cache of floral prints.  Probably at least 10+ years ago I decided to collect some rose prints to make a crazy quilt.  At the time I was new to crazy quilting so didn't realize how little I would need of each print, if I even wanted a print.  But, ignorance is bliss and I happily bought a bunch of fabric.   I had lived with men so long I was just craving something feminine of my own choice.  I may have gone overboard a bit.  Not much, just a bit.  

This reminds me of a similar buying spree.  My son, who is a chef, asked for a food themed quilt.  Oh Fun!  Everywhere I went I looked for food fabrics.  People sent me scraps from their stashes.  By the time I got ready to sew his quilt I had enough food fabric for 3 king sized quilts.  All he really wanted was a big cuddle quilt for the couch.  Yea, you get it, right?

Yesterday morning I pulled fabrics.  The ones I didn't love as much as the rest I decided to use for the bathrobe lining.  I got busy sewing a piece of yardage.  When I was finished, I quickly realized I actually liked it a lot and didn't want to sew another piece for the front.  This piece will now become the front.  I picked this vintage sheet for the lining.  I tend to like stylized flowers more than realistic ones.




 Speaking of crazy quilts, I pulled out a box of my linens and some my friend Cathy sent me.  I've decided to crazy patch some of them together for the collar.  In my mind, it looks lovely.  ðŸ˜Ž  I guess we'll find out soon enough! 


What about the old bathrobe?  I guess it will become the inner layer on something smaller.  I don't want to spend the time or effort taking it apart for this project.  I'll use a thrifted flat blanket instead.  

Next step will be to lay out the pattern pieces and see how much I overestimated the pieced yardage!  
Check back because I'll be posting progress photos.  

Please Join the Conversation!
Have you had projects that looked better in your head than reality?

💬💬💬

11 comments:

  1. "Have you had projects that looked better in your head than reality?"

    Ummm, all the time, but more often they do work out so it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny it is that I was just today thinking how much I hate my lavender fleece bathrobe! They never wear out, do they? Instead, they just grow shabbier and more pathetic. You’ve got some great ideas there, and I may have to borrow some of them to spruce mine up. Can’t wait to see how this progresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming along well. A few detours on the way.
      I ditched my robe in place of a flat piece of batting. I'll reuse it in a small quilt so it won't go to waste.

      Delete
  3. Interesting! Somehow I envisioned it being sewn over the same way a flat piece would be, but that doesn't work with sleeves, for sure! =) I think you're going to have a nice bathrobe when you finish - or a coat, whichever way you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not to the construction stage yet so it's still roaming around my head. Basically, I have two sided fabric to sew into a bathrobe. I will have to finish seams.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you’re using these fabrics. We should all get to our “saved for something special” stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have plenty of saved stash! Ha! Ha! but I'm letting go of the tight grip more easily now. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!