Friday, August 10, 2018

Childhood Art: Little Treasures

A few days ago I was in my local Goodwill store waiting to check out at the register. On a shelf nearby were a variety of knick knacks.  I won't tell a lie.  I like knick knacks.  As I was looking a little colorful cross caught my attention.  Upon closer inspection I could see it had a little heart in the middle.  When I turned it over, it said "Mary Grace 2007".  It had probably been painted in vacation bible school or at a religious school.

I was saddened to see it there.  It belonged with a momma or a grandma.  I knew I would be taking it home.

With my latest round of neighborhood power outages I've found myself eating dinner at my little kitchen table instead of at the computer.  I had laid the little cross on my table.  Across the kitchen from the dining area I can see a picture I cherish with my whole heart.  It was drawn by my son Will when he was in early elementary school.  At that time I was teaching school and I had it laminated.  I count it as one of my prized possessions. I would give you my diamonds before I would give you my picture. 

If I could find Mary Grace I would tell her that her cross is safe with me.  I'm sure she didn't think anything about donating it.  She's probably a teenager now.  Who wants that old art project stuff from when you are young?  Certainly not a teenager.

I'm sad the cross ended up at Goodwill but happy I can now enjoy it with my little hand drawn picture from Will.  I hope Mary Grace will always be safe and her momma never says, "I wish I had something to remember from Mary Grace."  We don't know where our children's paths will take them. I'm thankful I have something from Will.   God Bless You Mary Grace.


Yes, that's a statue of Jesus.  Kitschy, I know. 






I love you too Will. 

1 comment:

  1. Now that is a sweet story, and a wonderful parallel. Thank you for sharing Will's picture, and also the story of Mary Grace's cross.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!