Saturday, August 11, 2018

Raw Edge Work: Embracing Ordinary Fabrics

I am just a few hours away from having this queen size composition stitched.  I can hardly wait to see it!  I had plans to cut it into various projects but oh my goodness, that may be too hard!  I love the simple calm harmony of the everyday fabrics I have been using.  Various ones have reminded me of the people who are or have been in my life.  It's been a nostalgic journey the past few days.

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018


Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

Raw Edge Detail ©Debra Dixon 2018

I like working with cast-off fabrics.  It's a wonderful challenge to combine them into a story.  Their irregularities and oddities remind me of ourselves.  These fabrics are predominantly harvested from clothes and household linens so I feel they are continuing their story.  Who wore those clothes?  What house was decorated with these curtains?  Where did you come from, oh ordinary fabric?

Have a Creative Day Y'All! 

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely poetic post! I enjoy seeing how you put these fabrics together in such a harmonious way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a pleasure to see what the final journey of this project is. You are so good at combining disparate things into something harmonious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!