Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Reconstructed Dress: Changes and Modifications

I just couldn't get the skirt and top to work together on the Reconstructed Dress 5.  What was supposed to be quick & spontaneous was, quite frankly, giving me a headache and taking too much time.

So, I separated them into 2 projects which will take more time eventually.  Yes, I can see the logic in that decision.  I'm intuitive like that.   But, hopefully, the designs will be stronger or better or at least different. Or, I'll like them more.  Or, something.

As I was working on them separately, I had this very sad feeling come over me.  It's a feeling I've been experiencing quite a bit this summer as I work with fabrics I've had a long time.  I realized most of my life I've made design choices based on other people's likes.  Very seldom did I take a strong stand and say I wanted something.  Even my final decision was a compromise.  It's been liberating, in a sense, to sew these clothes exactly like I want with exactly the fabrics I want.  It makes me want to keep them all.  And, I just might.  They tell my story and I don't think I can sell them.  Yet.


Snafu:  this blouse is not my size.  It's too big. If I keep this dress, I'll need to figure the size part out.  
I took off the collar and replaced with a strip of raw edge fabric.  I left the ruffle edges raw too.  I like both of those features.
I'm not sure yet about the waistline--where to put it.  Presently, it's at the end of the blouse for a dropped waist but I might make it higher.  Any ideas?

The skirt fabric is a vintage woven polyester.  I bought it in a 2nd hand store in the Hill Country when I was on a golf outing.  While everyone golfed, I poked around the town's shops.  I love the colors and the natural motif.  I like the addition of the green to the dress's look too.  

I haven't decided on the skirt's length but it won't be full length.  At least not today. 






I just have these skirts pinned to the tops to give you (and me) a vague idea of how they might look.

This top is too large for me too.  (I see a pattern here . . . . ) but I can always use this as a jumper and layer a top underneath it.  I like layering a lot and have started doing it more and more; with scarves, jewelry and clothes.

Again, I am undecided about the waistline here.  I hate cutting off most of the shirt but it may need to happen.  That will also affect the ruffle placement.  So much for spontaneity.


I bought a full tiered skirt with ruffles.  Very pretty and my intent had been to use the ruffles as is.  When I removed one of the ruffles, I changed my mind and decided to send it through the ruffler for a  more full ruffle.  It didn't work at all.  The fabric was so sheer and fine it didn't ruffle.  I tried various settings but no go.  So, I hand pleated the fullness.


I've started adding more patches in some of the blank spaces.  Because, well, who wants blank spaces?  Certainly, I don't!




I have to leave all this fun alone for a few hours.  I have 3 small quilts to bind and one to quilt & bind for tomorrow. 

Have a Creative Day, Y'All! 


13 comments:

  1. Keep the good designs coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Love the fabric combinations! Since you asked for ideas on dress #1, here's my 2 cents worth: go for am Empire waistline that will give your dress 1/3, 2/3's composition. Like in art & photography, strive for that balance, and your dress will have that pizazz that you're looking for. Love what you're doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adjustments are coming right up! I've had some new thoughts today while I let these 2 pieces sit for a bit.

      Delete
  3. Oh these are fun. Love the asymmetrical design of the 2nd dress.... and all those patches in the blank spaces = gorgeous x 100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided it's time to have some fun, Cyra!

      Delete
  4. Those lopsided ruffles are very “in” this year. Nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually a little harder to make them they look; especially when you come from a very structured sewing background!

      Delete
  5. I think since these are personal pieces (which makes total sense to me) you should shoot for designs that work with your body/ your style preferences. I agree about the empire waist, which looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't start out being personal pieces but that's how they are ending! I'll have to be more decisive when I start them & tell myself they are mine or not.

      Delete
  6. I like the dropped waist on the second one, not as much on the first one. I like the second dress a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be pleased to see the results now. :-)

      Delete
  7. Just beautiful and very creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!