Friday, August 28, 2020

My Needlework Room

I successfully sorted my cross stitch patterns.  The defining question was:  Am I really going to stitch this (before I die)?  
I've never really collected "cute" designs because even cute designs have a lot of work in them.  My tendency has been towards samplers and florals.  It was really hard to decide on some of them.  I went through a period of Welcome Samplers, a few Love/Anniversary Samplers, a stack of Tropical Patterns that encompassed birds, foliage and shells & some Baby designs.  
I have a nice Welcome cross stitch my mom stitched so I don't need a collection of those patterns.
Ain't much Love/Anniversary going on now so those patterns hit the floor.
All the Tropical patterns just draw me back to the Bentwater days & I don't ever want to go there again. 
No grandbabies in my future.  I don't see any reason to keep those patterns. 

I have a pretty big collection of Fonts and Borders patterns because at one time I entertained the idea of designing some Samplers.  A quick look around the internet informed me enough that I'll leave the designing to others.  There are plenty of great looking charts from which to choose; besides, I still have a large supply of charts that suit my tastes well.  It could take years to stitch all of them.



These 2 charts have been favorites since well, 1989.  I could see stitching them now. 


I also uncovered a few small unfinished projects.  I'll finish these up soon.  They'll get me back in the cross stitch mood.



I started this one when I was in Indonesia in 1999.  I guess it has waited long enough. 


This is one of the very 1st patterns I bought when I started to cross stitch.  I never stitched any of the designs.  Last year I found a cross stitch at the thrift and I knew it looked familiar.  Now I remember why! 




Sometime around 2010 I decided to try some needlepoint.  Needlepoint is confusing to me because it is not always definitive where the stitch goes in relation to the printing.  I abandoned this pillow.  I now have a needlepoint friend who has promised to get me back on track.  


I was going to unpin these 3 cute dress patterns until I realized they would fit if I sewed them.  They are ready to do.  Might happen soon.
 

Yesterday I pulled out this crazy quilt: My Crazy Life.  It's a big project.  For various reasons it's been shelved for about 7 years.  I'm emotionally ready to stitch on it again.  


After more hours on the floor than my body could tolerate, I decided to set up one of my folding tables.  I had hoped for a nice little wooden table for my needlework room but I already own this table.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  For now I think it's going to be a great stitching space.

I propped up the drape to get a feeling whether I wanted to cover the shelves or not.  I'm a little afraid of the "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome if I can't look over at my supplies.  On the other hand, supplies aren't inspiring eye candy.  



I have a nice place behind my table for a changing quilt display. 


One of the biggest walls has a crazy quilt I stitched in 2009.  It was featured in Allie Aller's book: Allie Aller's Crazy Quilting
Once this "new" crazy quilt is finished, I can swap the quilts out on this wall too.  


I'm making such great progress!  I hope I have the motivation to jump in on some of these unfinished projects I still like.  As my son continually reminds me,  "You have plenty of time.  What else are you doing?" 

It's such a delight to walk to the end of the hallway and see my rooms look so inviting.  It's been a long time coming.  A long time.  This has been a very good summer of personal introspection.  Sometimes we need that. 

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬


4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, wow... Debra, it's all so inviting! I love your work area in your needle work room, and I know you will just love working in there! I vote for curtain panels on your shelves, but have them tied to look like an hourglass. That would soften the harsh look of the shelves & storage boxes.
    Kudos to you, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady wins the race. I took 3 bags of gross old clothes to the clothing recycle bins today. I'm not going to boho patch over a stain or recut shirts. I don't have time for that. I haven't culled through my tubs of clothes I bought to make patchwork clothes yet. Maybe I can do that tomorrow. I have a feeling they will end up in the recycle bins too. This purging is really energizing me. Getting my house in order feels good.

      Delete
  2. Finding the projects you feel inspired to complete is a great step forward (as is getting rid of stuff that’s no longer appealing). Your space looks very inviting, great light in front of the window. All you need is some music or a nice audio book and you’re set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making a lot of progress. That was a lot of XS you thought you'd do. I can't imagine having those. On the other hand, if I were to make every quilt pattern saved in my computer ... I would have to be reborn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!