Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Houston Furniture Bank

 Yesterday with the impending hurricane nagging me I drove over and filled up my SUV with gas.  I have a bad tendency to let it run low.  Shame on me.  I had planned to go on to the christian thrift store but I still had a few fabric boxes to check for donations.  So I went back home.

When I finally pulled into the thrift store parking lot, I was 5 minutes too late for donations.  Even my pleading didn't persuade the attendant.  He came at me with the lame reasoning:  If I take exception then all the other people watching in the parking lot will want me to take their donations.  So I looked out at the parking lot.  I didn't see any angry people ready to storm the receiving doors.  Irritated, I drove over to Goodwill.  In all fairness, I buy goods at Goodwill and I'm happy to score a deal.  So I hope someone thinks they've hit the Mother lode if they discover all the fabric I've donated.  I'm sure I won't miss it.  Three quarters of it was given to me.  I seriously need to learn to say NO, I can't use that fabric when asked.  I'm just a pushover. 

When I got home Houston Furniture Bank had posted a Facebook picture that validates my work.  One of their clients left with an armful of quilts.  I love seeing these pictures because it gives me an idea of what people like and choose for their homes.


I had collected some manufactured quilts a few years ago and decided to donate them.  Miss Rosa chose that one and then she chose the small girls tshirt quilt and a table runner.  I'm especially excited about the table runner because those are fun and easy to sew with scraps.  The Houston Furniture Bank's motto "Making Houses Homes" strives to give clients basic furniture (donated by citizens).  Besides beds, they really want families to have a kitchen dining set so they can gather over a meal together.  When I took the last donation in, they put the table runners out on the tables in the selection area. 

If you want to send me a stack of table runners, I'll take them to the HFB with my next donation. 

Their other outreach program is Art for All.  They've asked Houston artists to donate original artwork the clients can choose for their homes. Rosa's mother is holding a donated artwork Rosa chose for her home.   I'll be gearing up when the reorganization is over to finish some needlework pieces I can donate.  

One of my other recent ideas has been to collect thrifted canvases so I could use the frames for needlework to sell at the art markets.  Yea, well, I'm not selling at the art markets any longer but I still have the frames.  They are another collection category that "looks so useful.  I should be able to do something with that.  Oh look, it's only 99¢!"  Oy Vey!  

I think the truth is obvious:  I need to stay out of thrift stores.

Join the Conversation!

💬💬💬



3 comments:

  1. I’m sure that it reinforces your reorganization efforts to know that your goods are going to people who need or welcome them. That’s a really nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely. I culled through the hand embroidered pillowcases (given to me) and added them to the pile for the next trip to HFB. I've already pulled all the curtains and such I bought thinking I would use them in this house. I can see I am "over" some of the previous trends! Thankfully there is a reliable and appreciative place for their donation.

      Delete
  2. What fun to make sure someone else gets the use of your surplus of plenty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!