Tuesday, August 4, 2020

My Home: Sitting Room Progress with Furniture

A few days ago I was looking through Facebook Marketplace and spotted a floral love seat.  I thought it would be swell for the sitting area I hope to create when I move back into the master bedroom (or in my case, the mistress bedroom).  I knew that even though the room is still stuffed with shelves of fabric I needed to buy the love seat now if I expected to own it.   

My friend and I got it loaded into my front sitting room last night.  I went to bed.  This morning when I looked at it in the room the light bulb went off.  It is, actually, quite nice for my sitting room!  
The scale is good and the theme is perfect.  I had already pulled nature themed artwork to hang in there.  The room looks out at my courtyard so the idea of a nature room works wonderfully.  

I believe it has found its home!  Leaving it in the sitting room will give me more decorating options for the bedroom where I plan to hang more of my personal wall hangings (that may or may not "go with" a distinctly floral couch).  It's a lightweight love seat so if I change my mind later, I can always move it.  



I spent a little time arranging furniture.  The blue chairs got separated so I could use the one solid wall for the love seat.  My chairs turned out splendidly well.  I'm still over the moon with the color. 

I nixed the denim cushion covers.  The jeans had stains and by the time I cut unblemished pieces to sew together there were too many seams.  I had some faux denim yardage and just used that for the cushions.  I have enough impending projects as it is; why belabor the process?

I also nixed the squares/patchwork looking fabric for the drapes in favor of a subtle blue and cream floral.  I love the dark blue against the blue walls.  As luck would have it, the floral shading is the same blue as the walls.  I hope to sew the drapes next week. 


One of the chairs is anchoring the corner.  It will be a nice reading spot with my best reading lamp.   The pillow is one I stitched from a wall hanging I repurposed.  I have 3 of these pillows and they have always been favorite slouchy pillows.

This weekend I spent way too much time trying to make some of my artwork fit into that wall space.  Today I pulled some artwork in the "maybe keep/maybe donate" pile.  I think I'll hang them and worry about my artwork later.  



I paired the love seat with a few of my raw edge pillows.  My goal with all this redoing it to use what I have already sewn.  


The other chair breaks up the mirror and balances the room nicely. 


The artwork I planned to hang over the love seat.  The middle picture is one I picked up in a consignment store in the very early 1990s.  It is probably my all-time favorite painting.  
The vintage potted plant has a cool bamboo frame.  I bought it at a local thrift store a few years ago.  
The iris with butterfly is a machine embroidered piece I stitched about 6 years ago.  I framed it in a thrifted frame. 


The two pieces below will go on the short wall.  One is a watercolor bird print and the other botanical butterfly print. 





I still plan to paint the round 1950s table.  I think I want to paint it at the same time I paint the 2 1950s nightstands.  It might be easier if they were the same color which would mean making a decision about the color scheme for that "soon to be" guest bedroom (but currently my bedroom).  And unless I choose cream it would also mean I probably will have to strip the wallpaper.  

The Summer Home Tumbleweed just keeps on rollin'! 

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬

5 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful!

    Nice to see a blog again! I should get back to blogging! Now that I’m home all the time!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your living room is looking great! You’re really pulling it together nicely?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything fits together so perfectly, you’ve really created a tranquil space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great love seat, and looks perfect in the room with the chairs and the drapes. Nice going!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!