Friday, July 31, 2020

My Home: Chair Progress & Rethinking My Bedroom

I'm so thankful for the last week of rain. It's been a huge blessing to my front gardens. They've perked up considerably. I bought a few more little plants (that promise to get big) and some mulch. Tending to them is on the short list today.

Yesterday was the 1st sunny day so I wrangled the chairs to the front courtyard for their paint job.  Oh My Stars!  I love them!  I'll do a little touch up today and then let them rest outside the weekend before putting them in the sitting room. 







Earlier in the week I pulled some "fabric" to use for the cushions.  I'd say I did really well with the color.  😀😀


These are some chunky monkeys.  I will have to wrangle them through the front door (carefully) to get them back in the house.  

While they dried I started evaluating other rooms in my house.  Because, yaknow, let's make a big pile of stuff to do while we're at it! 

My 1800 sq ft house as I've mentioned before is a 1980s tract house.  It has 2 very large rooms with tall ceilings:  the living room and the master bedroom.  Currently both of those rooms are being used for my studio and fabric storage.  

I've decided to downsize my fabric stash so I can move it out of the bedroom.  It will go into the studio & I will reclaim the bedroom.  The bedroom will give me enough room for my bed and a large sitting area for a couch and reading/TV.  I only use local TV stations (with an antennae) and one of the 3 antennae plugs is in the bedroom.  The bedroom also opens to my front courtyard which will be pleasant when I develop that area.  The room also has very tall walls (cathedral ceiling) which are great for my wall hangings.

So with that in mind I had to reevaluate the 2 remaining bedrooms.  My current bedroom will become the guest bedroom.  The current guest bedroom will become an office. 

My Bedroom (to become Guest Room):
Earlier in the month I put a chenille bedspread on my bed.  It is so refreshing!  I'm tired of all the cluttered beds and walls.  I'm aching for a more modern streamlined look for my house.  It's tough because I have a lot of stuff I love.  I'm starting to put it all in a hierarchy of love.  Tough love! 

I love my current bedroom wallpaper but it's been up for 18 years & if you look closely it is peppered with picture hanging holes.  It has also split on almost all the seams.  I think it's time to remove it.
Like the rest of my house the window sill & the baseboards need to be painted. 
It's beginning to sound like a little redo for that room.  

I shopped my fabric stash for possible drapes and a bedspread.  I currently have floral patchwork drapes hanging.  I could easily keep them (and save myself some serious effort).  

This rose floral is so beautiful!  The fabric has a very soft hand even though it is home decorator fabric.  Lovely peach and greens.  I'm very fond of orange & pink but in some instances orange a little more. 


I picked this up at the thrift store a few years ago.  I have 2 pieces that combined are about 8 or 10 yards.  Yes, that's $4.94 for each piece.  It's a Jay Yang print. 


I also have a substantial amount of this white textured drapery weight fabric.  It would be ideal for drapes if I use the floral for a bedspread.  Or vice versa with the floral drapes and a white/cream bedspread. 


I'll be cogitating on them for a bit.  I have enough immediate sewing that this project can wait a minute. 

Last thing I did before going to bed was tape off some placement indicators for a gallery wall.  I don't usually do this but what the heck?  


The embroidery florals have gotten divided around the house.  They have different frames so that makes it hard to group together but easier to split up.  
Along with a few other floral favorites they will be on the wall facing the bed.  


Before I went to bed last night I hung this group.  Earlier this year I bought the P.  Buckley Moss matted print from the thrift store.  It's a very custom frame and I'm sure it was expensive.  I looked on her website and her prints are in the $100s so for $14.99 I got a good piece.  It seems so appropriate too! 

The cross stitch samplers are ones I stitched in the early 1990s on linen. 



I have 2 of these old '50s nightstands.  They were last painted in the early 90s & they've been a lot of things for a lot of years.  It's time to give them a fresh outlook on life. 

I think once I get the sitting room finished I'll tackle my bedroom.  Maybe I could get it finished by the end of August. Maybe.  

3 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to watch the redecorating process...thanks for sharing yours. Looking forward to seeing those wicker chairs with their new denim cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chairs really came out beautifully. I love their texture, it’s like knitted fabric. Good luck with the reorganization of your rooms. That floral fabric is gorgeous, I’m eager to see it’s next incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the time you finish, you'll have a whole new house! The chairs do look great, and with the denim cushions, they'll be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!