Sunday, August 23, 2020

Destashing the Studio Tubs

During my destash in the fabric storage room I was able to unload a few laundry baskets.  Yesterday I moved one of the shelves to an alcove in my sewing studio & put them to good use.  

I am a piler.  Always have been.  Part of my frustration with my sewing studio are the project piles. When I put piles in my big cupboard, I forget about them.  I have been known to spend hours searching for a project only to have it stashed in some basket somewhere in plain sight.  

I'm working toward better organization but it's hard!  All of this was piled on the floor or falling over from a tub.  Probably enough fabric here for quilts the rest of the year.  

I remember the days when this was the extent of my fabric stash.  Sometimes I wish that were today. 

One thing I have noticed while "reviewing" my fabrics:  I don't use enough solids in my quilts.  I have boxes of solid cottons languishing & fading along the folds.  It's time to use them! 

I ruthlessly purged the miscellaneous sewing fabrics I've saved for years.  I collected a load of garments I could cut up for crazy quilting.  Turns out I don't need a 3X gold lame blouse for my crazy quilting.  It just isn't my style of handwork.  So a lot of those fabrics went in the donation bags.  I also was very selective of some recent fabrics given to me for quilting.  They really just miss the mark on being useful.  I'll pass them along too. 

The extra sewing machines are being donated.  I have my favorite sewing machines & even though I think I would like to run 2 or more at a time, I haven't been able to make that happen! 


OH, look -- an empty tub!  Hallelujah! 


Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬


8 comments:

  1. Bravo for the huge accomplishments! I am quite impressed by your dedication & hard work, and some folks will love what you're donating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I can't say No! most of this was given to me. Of course, now I don't want anyone to say No! to my fabric offers. Ha! ha!

      Delete
  2. Great work! Your efforts are going to make you more creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly! If I can just finish the quilt tops waiting, I'll be happy!

      Delete
  3. Great work any you get rewarded with an empty tub. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I was able to comment! Will wonders ever cease?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!