Friday, July 24, 2020

My Home: More Painting and then Some More

When I came around the corner yesterday I had full intentions of keeping the original paint.  I decided most of it would be covered by artwork.  Then I went outside and when I came in the front door the 1st thing to catch my attention were the dabbles over the mirror (and I was not even looking for them).  OK, I rationalized, so what?  

Then I thought about getting a quart of paint and painting the 2 walls with the most dabbles.  I started to tape off the baseboards so I could start painting them while I mulled over my options.  Under the mirror was a section where red paint was on the wall.  I suspect it came from a little red chair I own rubbing against the wall.  Who knows how that could happen?  I'm past the point of caring.  

So I figured 1 quart of paint would cost me $20 and it would still be hit or miss on the sheen.  Or, I could spend $30 on a new color and ya know, 3 or 4 days painting this 11 x 12 room.  

So I grabbed my blue color swatches and compared them to the drapery fabric.  It has about 5 different shades of blue.  I also walked through my kitchen looking at the swatches.
I don't usually buy "big ticket" items dependent upon something like the fabric for drapes but I have a feeling these will be hanging a long time.  Because the fabric has so many of the blue shades  I love I felt the fabric was a good indicator of blues I would probably buy even without the fabric. 

I was pleasantly surprised how well the blue I chose worked with my painted kitchen cabinets.  I have loved their colors from the minute they were painted.
If I decide to repaint them (this time by myself as opposed to hiring the job like I did 18 years ago) I will use the same colors.


You can easily see that when I am finished with the baseboards in my sitting room, I will be moving to the other side and painting the kitchen door frame and baseboards.  Some delivery guy beat the daylights out of the door frame when delivering a refrigerator.  From that point it was a slippery slope to their present condition.

I forgot how much time taping off a room takes. If I painted more often I would try to get better with one of those paint shields but at present I'm sticking with tape.  I still had some time so I started cutting in on the walls.  Talk about another huge time suck.   Lord Have Mercy!




This paint has more grey than the original periwinkle paint.  

This morning I had some commitments so I didn't get the cutting in finished until early evening.  I'll get up in the morning and roll the walls.  

As I was moving the chairs I noticed my "test sample" on the chair also hit my wood floor.  I think it shows how mature I've become that I didn't slap myself around.  😎😎 I tried to scrape it off but ended up using Goof Off.   Rian, by the way, the color is Parisian Grey, 1st cousin to Dove Grey.  I like it very much but will wait until the walls are painted to make a final decision.  



Sometime last year I had the bright idea to paint my wood floors.  They have some discoloration that would be nice to cover & I really can't afford to replace them now.  When I worked at Floor and Decor they had some mechanically distressed and painted wood look floor tiles that I really loved.  In my last house I chose a sandwashed wood to resemble driftwood & I loved that floor very much.  So seeing the paint on my floor has me scurrying over to Pinterest to research painting floors. 

As I was reminded recently:  You have all the time in the world.

Well, if I can just get the walls painted tomorrow . . . . 


Join the Conversation! 
💬💬💬

6 comments:

  1. Lookin' good there, Debra! I love the paint color! Gray is quite the trend these days. And, your poster looks fantastic there in the entry! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Girlfriend! The color is more blue when it is dry. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I like it so that's all that counts. :-)

      Delete
  2. Now you're committed to painting! Painted floors can be a pain in the tush. Furniture slides, people wear damaging shoes, things happen. It's higher maintenance, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably move that idea closer to the bottom of my list. I have a boatload of other ideas that have waited longer & want to accomplish.

      Delete
  3. It’s going to look so beautiful once it’s done. I agree, the new paint color “frames” the large poster very dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done is starting to sound like a 4 Letter Word! :-)

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!