Thursday, July 16, 2020

My Home: More Door Progress

I'm making slow forward moving progress on my entry way.  I'm not racing through this project.  I feel like it's a nice detour from my constant sewing.  I like the sewing but I needed a little break.  Well, I got that break! 

Funny, how in my world, break means more work in a different direction!

The front of the door is painted.  I've also painted the inside door frame and the outside door trim.  The outside door trim was supposed to be grey.  It looks decidedly blue to me.  The quart of paint costs $20 so Tuesday I was hesitating about buying another quart to repaint it.  It's such a small area of blue.

I may add a floral wreath or welcome sign on one of the walls and I can be sure to add blue to it.


I have never liked the porch bricks.  By themselves they are fine & I know the original bricklayers thought they would probably go "well enough" with my existing brick; but, to my sensibilities, they don't.  They just miss the mark.  I have a large amount of flagstones left from my patio project.  They are a mix of rust, grey and some blue/grey.   I'll pull as many as I can that have more of the blue/grey to use for the small entry floor. 


 
My original brick is a bit funky but I like it! 


My courtyard part of the house needs to be painted.  I'll have to wait until it gets cooler before I tackle that project.  I may even have to buy a spray painter.  I have some trim with rotten bottoms that need repairing.  And the new antique white is glaringly wrong with the old white house paneling.  I'll eliminate the pale green trim too.

One of the projects I want to do this summer (and now it may be early fall) is design and make some mosaic totem poles from ceramic pieces I have accumulated over the years.  I'd like one for each side of my entry way.  If I incorporate more blues (which will be easy) they will tie that area together well.

Yesterday I took the paint plunge.  I bought a gallon of satin enamel to paint the back of the door, my chipped door frames and disgusting baseboards.  I also bought a quart of paint to touch up the inside entry area.  When I painted it on, it was more yellow than the wall.  Upon further investigation I discovered the paint can I thought was the hallway paint was the guest room paint.  Rats.

So there went my $20 I might have used for the blue trim on a quart of paint I'll probably never use to touch up the guest bedroom.  I tried to forgive myself quickly and move forward.  Sometimes that is all I can do.  And, take better notes.   That part still stings a bit.


Today's goal is to get the interior of the front door sanded and painted.  It's going to be a long day and I'm already starting a bit late.  But, it's all good. 
If I get too hot, I'll stop and rest.  I'm working with fans; no air conditioning.  For the most part I am fine but there are portions of the day when it's been brutal.  These 98° days are hard to tolerate non-stop. 

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬


3 comments:

  1. My dear, how come you have no air conditioning in this super hot weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it slow and put off what you can until the weather cools. Your door looks very nice in white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The door area looks good, but that is definitely blue. Do you have enough left to paint the green trim further out the same color? Then with the blue accents in the tiles and whatever wreath you make, that would look very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!