Sunday, July 12, 2020

My Home: Front Door Hung

The front door is hung.  It was a royal pain but it's hung.  Of course it still needs a lot of work to make it presentable.  I had a mini meltdown when I surveyed how much work I thought it would take to make the door and surrounding area look good.


I phoned my son when I was just short of tears and in his best unsympathetic manner he basically asked:  what did you expect?  and then followed it with:  well, you have all the time you want.
And, truthfully, he had valid points.  I hate tough love.

By the following morning I felt like I could take on the rest of the project in small bites.   I hadn't really thought about redoing my house this summer but the joy of being single is that I can do whatever I want.

There are a few things I dislike about the reclaimed door.  The biggest is the wood grain.  I'm not fond of wood grain.  I like painted surfaces.  I also don't like the framed panels at the bottom of the door.  And, I've decided I don't like the blue either.

Within minutes I decided to decoupage a rough open weave cotton to the front door.  I bought a large container of Elmer's Glue and painted the glue onto strips of fabric.  The intent is to have a fabric texture that I can paint.  The sample looked great.


My front door is recessed on a small porch and I think the paint will protect the fabric.  If it doesn't, oh well.  My house is one investors like to buy and flip.  I understand that so I am just having a good time enjoying my ideas.  I have, as my son reminded me, plenty of time.


The fabric set up very well last night.  It's hard and firmly attached.  Today I added some eyelet lengths to the 2 bottom panels.  

The whole door front will be painted tomorrow.  I've decided on antique white which is about the same shade as the fabric.  I'll paint the outside trim framing the door a medium gray.  All the door frame surfaces are sanded. 

All this attention to the door reminds me how shabby & dirty the baseboards look.  Brent reminded me that when the house was originally painted in 2002 for some reason, the baseboards were never painted.  I guess it's time to paint them.  Luckily, the hallway is short and narrow.  

I think I can accomplish this by week's end.  Then I really must get insulated drapes sewn for my large studio windows. 

It was a brutal 97° tonight at 6 PM.  Tomorrow is predicted to hit 100°.  We are going into our 2nd week with no rain and none predicted for the coming week.  It's scorching hot.  I'm trying to water and protect my new garden.  Had I known this heat wave was headed straight at Houston I would have waited on the garden.  I hope it can hang on!  


Join the Conversation! 
💬💬💬

6 comments:

  1. What a labor of love you are giving to your house! What a novel idea to change the texture of your door with fabric (I thought the door was gorgeous to begin with!) and I can't wait to see the finished product. You are truly a crafty can-do kind of person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, I need my head examined! I really am an individual when it comes to home decorating.
      This could be the tumbleweed of the summer!

      Delete
  2. Have fun with your project. Those eyelet panels are perfect for your front door. They say: a creative mind lives here. You’re going to be happy when all is said and done (and when one project stops leading to another).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just back from the Home Depot with my paint for the front door. Will post when finished! Ha! ha! finished??

      I'm thinking of (wallpaper) pasting some neutral linens to the hall wall before I hang my collection of vintage needlework pieces there. I may be nuts. I do need to paint the baseboards.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my first thought was, "What a pretty door!" LOL But I know when you finish, it will make you happy and still be a pretty door.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!