Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Grateful Threads Project: Log Cabin Quilts

I'm spending my summer finishing quilts for a very large fall delivery to the Houston Furniture Bank. 
I have bits and pieces from proposed projects during a previous time in my life that no longer serve my interests or needs.  I'll be repurposing them into serviceable quilts for the No Kids on the Floor Initiative the Houston Furniture Bank manages.  The Initiative puts children in twin beds; for many of the children it's their 1st bed.  It is estimated 300-500,000 children are sleeping on the floor in Houston on any given night.  My commitment is to sew quilts for some of the children's beds. 

I've been dividing the weeks into like-style sewing to make the process faster. I had enough parts and pieces already started for Log Cabin blocks to know a good week of concentrated effort would yield 4 or 5 twin sized quilts.  

Maybe 2 years ago while thrifting I spotted a huge fabric grab bag. It was sealed of course but what caught my attention were some vintage bird prints I could see through the plastic. The bag was something like $5 so I bought it.
When I opened the bag later it was filled with vintage decorator samples. In the lot was a big group of Beatrix Potter printed panels.

Last year some lovely quilters used the panels for Angel Tree quilts. I still had one panel and some scrap pieces left.

With my new resolve to finish what has already been started and turn them into #TheGratefulThreadsProject quilts, the Beatrix Potter printed panel was on the short list. This is log cabin week so any quilts sewn this week will be log cabin quilts. The panel worked perfectly!  A friend gave me a box of strip scraps so many of the prints will be in this quilt.  It's nice to have them ready to go.  I have to alternate various sewing functions to give my hands some rest.  Too much cutting for too long wrecks havoc on them.

Yesterday's 6 blocks are so adorable I can hardly stand it!









                                          Please Join the Conversation!
What's on your sewing table this week?

#thegratefulthreadsproject #debradixondesign #houstonfurniturebank #nokidsonthefloor #houstonstrong #houston #texas #htx #quilts #scrapquilts #ittakesavillage #communityservice #beatrixpotter

3 comments:

  1. After spending last week repairing a quilt for a friend, I'm taking this week off of sewing. Cleaning, straightening up and organizing my little room as well as reading and napping have been on my agenda, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those are wonderful blocks! What a great idea. I have some American Hero and H2H quilts to finish quilting, a CIL quilt, and then I will start working on the quilt I promised for Grateful Threads. I have some blocks already made and will put them together with others. I might try some strip quilting, too. If you have things donated for quilting, I can help with that some, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!