Thursday, May 28, 2020

Filling Time with Extras

With this marathon of quiltmaking I've embarked upon and the current quarantine, I've had to come up with some other ideas for leisure time.  I'm not particularly comfortable with leisure time.  It makes me feel like I might be wasting my time but I'm trying to relax a bit about such a harsh opinion.

Toward that end I've watched a few more movies than in the past.  I usually use Tubi for my movie selections.  It's a free service and 95% of what they offer is just gross junk.  Occasionally they have a decent movie and it cycles around often enough I haven't become a movie addict.  Ha!

Here's my short list of recently viewed & recommended movies (in no particular order):
1. Lonely Hearts
2. House of Sand and Fog
3. The Founder
4. Road to Perdition
5. Passion Fish
6. The Big Short

I'm fond of recommended lists and just recently came across a list of 800 Best Free Movies on TubiTV.  I'll be going through the documentary list and choosing some to watch.  I like movies based on real people's lives such as The Founder, the story of Ray Kroc of McDonald's corporation.

I've also expanded my listening while sewing.  I'm trying out some light hearted audio books.  The first series I stumbled upon is No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency set in Botswana Africa and starring a woman detective.  It's a fun listen and the differences the author Alexander McCall Smith draws between men and women are funny and accurate.

Paperback The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Book

If you have any audio books suggestions for easy listening, please let me know.  I am currently using the extensive Harris County Public Library as my resource for books and audio books.

I'm eyeing my copy of Anna Karenina again.  It's a mere 817 pages of tiny print.  I have the Oprah Book Club schedule tucked in the pages.  Sometime in the past Oprah organized members of her Book Club around the idea of reading Anna Karenina during the summer & published a schedule to keep everyone on target.
As luck would have it, if I start reading this week, I can finish the book by summer's end; according to the schedule!  I'm seriously considering it!

Have you read it?   it gets 4-5 Star Reviews.  Seems like a Bucket List item!

 Anna Karenina (Oprah's Book Club): (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by [Leo Tolstoy, Richard Pevear, Larissa Volokhonsky]

Last weekend I stitched some raw edge collage pieces.  I had some very nice scraps accumulating in the corner of my worktable.  Since I can't let any little fringed edge go, I took a day with the embroidery machine arranging abstract compositions the embroidery machine could stitch for me.






I've made some adjustments to this composition and started some minimal hand stitching to complement the machine work.  It's amazing how quickly I produced 10 new unfinished projects where once I had none.  I guess my handwork is set for the summer! ha! 

What new activities have you discovered to fill your quarantine hours? 
Please Join the Conversation!

💬💬💬







2 comments:

  1. Anna Karenina is in my audio book queue. That might make a good sewing room listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no new skills or activities lined up. I take each day as it comes, and nap a lot, too. =) I have read Anna Karenina, but it was years ago, when I was on a Tolstoi kick and read almost everything he wrote. I know I didn't read it on a schedule, just went straight through. I can't bear not to finish things I start, and so try to keep my books shorter these days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!