Monday, February 3, 2020

Strippy Quilt

I listen to a lot of country & western music while I am working.  Lately I've been listening to the top 1990s artists.  One of my favorite duos is Brooks and Dunn.  They released a song called My Next Broken Heart.  Every time I hear the words:

I found myself a brand new friend
I'm headed down that road again
Working on my next broken heart


I can't help myself and sing instead:

I found myself a brand new idea
I'm headed down that road again
Working on my next quilt top now

Hey, I am easily amused.  What can I say?  If it gets the work done, I'll stoop to that level.  😎😎

As it turned out once I got the 9 Patch blocks on the design wall, I completely turned my back on them!  Ha!  Another stack of fabrics caught my attention.  At various times I pull out all my strip scraps and sew them end to end into very long lengths I wind on a cardboard reel.  I keep like measured strips together.  Then I sew them in a sew/flip/quilt style of construction on the longarm.  The method produces a colorful quilt in record time.  I love the process!  

My reels of strips were the squirrels that caught my attention.  I'm in a mood to use parts and pieces I stitched last fall to finish into charity quilts this spring.  I sew in cycles:  a bunch of parts piecing and then a few quilt tops.  When looking at quilt tops to piece I always feel like "Oh, look, most of the work has already been done.  I can finish this quickly now!"  

Again.  What can I say?  If it gets the work done, I'll stoop to that level.  😎😎

So Saturday I spent the day almost knocking out a full sized quilt.  I usually quilt this style to the full width and length of whatever thrifted blanket I have on hand.  I don't see any reason to trim down a blanket when I know someone somewhere can use it in its current size.  It also eliminates waste and scraps for me.  

Take my quilt tour!  I love all the funky prints together.  It looks like a personal memory quilt from childhood into adulthood.  An imaginary friend, maybe?   A child could tell many stories by looking at the prints here.  Wouldn't that be fun?












I have about 10 more rows to sew for an early February finish!  Yea! 

Please Join the Conversation!

How do you trick yourself with projects?  
💬💬💬



8 comments:

  1. Debra, I'm right there with you about music playing while I work, except I mostly listen to American Standards (Nat King Cole, Steve Tyrell, Diana Krall, etc.) Great music sets the stage for happy art, and I can see that it works for you, too! Your strippy quilt pieces are so bright & colorful, and such fun to look at! I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a good cheatin' song! ha! I'll get tired of C&W and switch it up. I do like having music playing all the time.

      Delete
  2. I always have music on. Radio or disk. But good you please take a picture of the whole quilt? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, once it comes off the longarm frame I will post it!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a great method of putting something useful, warm and creative together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to help me get my 10 year "Sew the Stash" commitment achieved!

      Delete
  4. I seriously LOVE all the variety in your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! It's a big conglomeration of fabrics but in the end it feels lively and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!