Saturday, December 28, 2019

Studio Reorganization: Day 2 Results

I pulled a bunch of stuff out of cabinets to make room for new stuff.  Yea, I hope this is the right plan! My goal is to only have fabric in my studio that I plan to use immediately.  And by immediately, within the year or at least in the next 6 months.  Yaknow, until a new idea happens! 

I went through the books again.  I don't envision using many of them in the next 5 years; especially since I haven't used them in the last 5 years (and truthfully the 10 years before that).  I'll waste a little time listing them to sell & then I'll give up and donate them to the library.  I feel like the internet,  Pinterest, and my style of quilting have killed any need I might have had for these books.

This is what is left of the books.  I have those 3 shelves above for something.  I have to use a ladder to get up there so I doubt I'll be using them for anything I need to access quickly.  Hmmm, I should probably buy a nice step stool instead of schlepping the ladder in from the garage.


If reorganizing my studio was a case of moving items from one place to another, I'd be finished.  Unfortunately, I've had to clean along the way.  Boy, 5 years of dust really accumulates quickly!  ha!  But at least 2020 will start out cleaner and I might not have to do it again until 2025.  That's something to look forward to!

Today's goals:
1. Move the glass front cabinet to the bedroom.  I have help today.  It's heavier than the open shelves which I moved myself.
My two bedrooms are small -  10 x 10 ish.  Even with my best thinking I can't invent any other way to arrange the queen bed in a room that was probably designed in the 1980s to accommodate a twin (or maybe a full bed) at most.
2. Move a wooden shelf on top of another shelf.  I am rethinking a shelf sideways!
3. Get my work table set up more efficiently.  I'm tired of tripping over the sawhorse legs. 

On a positive note during this move, I've stepped out 2 miles every day!   Yesterday I realized I was adding steps by walking into a room and forgetting why I was there.  Retracing my steps added some bonus steps but probably didn't do much for my recall.  😎😎

Please Join the Conversation!

Are you thinking of Resolutions yet?

💬💬💬

5 comments:

  1. I love your Old Person Step Program! I get steps in that way too! Oh, and the dusting schedule sounds about right, too. Who needs dust bunnies when you can have dust rhinos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something satisfying about going through one’s things and paring down. Bonus: now you will know exactly where everything is, and remember what you have. Dust bunny eradication is icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little worried about "remembering where everything is" . . . .

      I unearthed some things yesterday I probably should deal with next year--a bunch of ½ finished knitting projects. I did some knitting in the Bentwater days in the evening. My evening time has changed here but I could discipline myself to get off Pinterest and knit in the evenings. :-)

      Delete
  3. The remembering part is tricky! I often remember where things were before I moved them three times since. LOL I'm wondering, not knowing where these shelves are, if you couldn't put some of your Madonnas on those top shelves, because you don't need to access those, just display them, and that might free up some lower shelving?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!