Friday, December 27, 2019

Studio Reorganization: Day 1 Results

I'm very pleased with my little eating area now!  I was afraid I wouldn't get many steps in yesterday.  Turns out schlepping cabinets and figurines back and forth from one room to another totaled 1 ½ miles.  Who'd a thought?  


I pulled my linens from the cabinet in the kitchen.  It never was easy to retrieve them when they were needed.  Now they are easy to pull for my table.  I like to change the linens and little vignettes I set up often.  Most of these were gifted, thrifted or sewn.  I'm set for a long time now. 


Part of my lovely Madonna collection

 
I was a little surprised to discover I didn't have as much to fill the 2nd cabinet.  Oh My!  I'm sure that will change!  The bottom section has some seasonal decorations, vases and large serving plates.  I had some of that in the studio and now I want to use that set of shelves for studio supplies.

I don't want this decorating streak to become a way of life:  finding all kinds of areas that need further attention; like my dog distressed door and my banged up door frames.  But, it could make me crazy enough (after 5 years of looking at it) that I either further distress or paint them.  Part of me is thinking further distressing them could be fun. 



I like to surround myself with mementos from people I know and love (and in some cases, have loved).  It gives me a chance to remember the occasion or the person.  It makes my space very special & meaningful to me.

In the mid 2000s my friend Barbara & I had fiber pieces accepted in the prestigious Sacred Threads show in Virginia.  We met there for the show & to spend a little time touring Washington DC.  One of the highlights of the trip was a day hitting some of the area thrift stores!  Ha! ha!  When Barbara visited me a few years ago one of her requests was to shop my local fabulous thrift store.  You can see why we are good friends! 

I like to honor the handwork of other needlewomen.  I have started collecting their work and often find beautiful pieces for pennies on the dollar.   The two scherenschnitte bird pictures were picked up for $5.  Lovely work & signed on the back.  They remind me of my fun day with Barbara.  I remember she bought a bag of half finished knitted projects so she could harvest the yarn. 

I embroidered the Mother Teresa quote last year.  It's a great companion to the birds and madonnas. 
I look in this direction when sitting at the table.  Pretties for my eyes! 








Thrifted and gifted decorations.  Laura's mother gave me the coasters for Christmas and I thought they would be a nice reminder when I am cooking my breakfast.  My longtime friend Toni gave me the Jim Shore rooster.  I picked up the framed doilies and white rooster while thrifting.

Yesterday was probably easy compared to the next couple of days when I have to decide what to do with the items I dumped out of the cabinets.  Gracious! 

I felt pretty ruthless (ha!) yesterday and this is the pile to list for sale on Poshmark. 


I'm unsure what I'll do with the books.  I doubt I'll sit down and cross stitch again; although I still love some of the designs.  The embroidery machine replaced that for me.  Plus, I have a few pieced CQ projects that have been languishing for 5+ years.


This cabinet is going to what will be my new bedroom.  Unfortunately that space is in overload right now.  I'll have to figure that out today. 


On a very positive note my Christmas decorations are packed and ready for their new home.  Also unfortunately, their previous space will be my new closet & I haven't figured out what to do with everything in that closet. 


The tumbleweed just keeps gaining momentum!  

Please Join the Conversation!  
Are you feeling the need to rework your spaces?

💬💬💬

4 comments:

  1. Boy, you WERE ruthless! Sometime “having no ruths” (hehe) is a good thing. I’ve been purging things over the last six months, albeit not as much as I need to. But each layer or round of purging digs a bit deeper. It’s fun to see others working at it too. But when I think of thrifting or going to estate sales, I have to slap my own hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2020 is going to be a Buy Nothing Year for me. I will need to buy new house windows but all the doodads & clothes are staying at the thrift store. I have plenty!
      Some of the linens you gave me made it into my kitchen cabinet. I'll enjoy those for a long time!

      Delete
  2. I'm not feeling it. LOL But I'm going to have to do some in January. Part of my problem is that too many people live in my house. I like seeing what you're doing, though. Those cabinets look wonderful in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so nice it their new locations. Enjoy having a new and improved space to work in. That’s the benefit of all this work, right?

    Those were some fun times we had thrifting. I did use that yarn for some charity projects. Now I try to avoid accumulating more things. Yarn, however, is another matter...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!