Monday, November 13, 2017

An Artist's Gift

When I arrived at the Turtle Creek Art Festival, there was an artist set up with his booth near the registration area.  His tent didn't have a canopy and he had all his paintings lined up along the ground & on a bar inside.  It was pretty basic; more basic than even my tent.  I asked him what he was going to do if it rained and he just shrugged it off.  Didn't seem to bother him.  I immediately loved his work. It was abstract people painted on masonite type reclaimed board; bright colors.  He had some "people" type sculptures that were made from pieces of rough wood layered with bright paint.

At the end of the festival I walked over to his booth again.  I asked him how he had done at the show and he said, "Well enough" or something vague. I asked him how his little sculptured people had done.  Had people liked his art?  I told him I had made $65.  He and his female partner were sitting across from his booth a bit of a distance away.  He said, "Go pick something out!"  I said I couldn't do that.  So he reached his hand out to me and says, "Help me up!".  He's a young tall healthy man.  He doesn't need help.  He just held my hand & lead me to the back of his booth, picked up one of his paintings, signed it, said, "I love you!" and gave me a fist bump.  What a marvelous way to connect with me.  So gracious.  I am thrilled to have his painting and I don't even know his name.


2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, that's beautiful Debra. He probably really appreciated your interest and kindness.
    I'm really sorry this show was such a disappointment. I saw on FB that everyone was saying that there's always another show, but I know you had high hopes for this one. I admire the way you keep plugging along, developing new ideas and taking things in stride, but it's bound to get to you when a show doesn't go well. I wish you could have a solo show in a gallery where you would be in the spotlight. It will come, but meanwhile, please know that you are much admired by me and many others.
    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope in ten years, it's worth a lot of money. And you can say you had one early. =) Sounds like it was a good experience, if not lucrative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!