Friday, January 15, 2021

Bricks/Coin Quilt: Quilting

 After struggling with a vintage sheet I had hoped to use for the backing, I finally took it off the longarm and seamed a fabric backing.  I couldn't get the sheet to load without drooping through the middle.  I think that has something to do with being square so I tried ripping it to square it up and it just went from bad to worse.  I decided the frustration was not worth it. 

You can see how crooked the sheet is in this picture.  I guess this piece will become a hot pad or trim on a totebag.  More extras for the "what do I do with this?" box! 


To my surprise I pulled out one of my very favorite fabrics, added two panels to the sides and loaded it on my longarm.  The blue abstract floral has been waiting a long time and I'm tickled with the outcome so far. 

Today I expect to get all the pieces sewn and quilted down.  I'm on a good roll and I hope 2021 turns out to be the year I get all the unfinished tops sewn and some new ones pieced and sewn.  At this point a stack of fresh quilts sounds like a fun goal.

There are give or take 40 years of my quilting life represented in this quilt.

The blue leaf print on the right was a Hoffman fabric from the early 1980s.  I had a patchwork ensemble in an art show in a museum in Oklahoma City & that was the featured fabric.  Not much of it left these days. 

My Mary Englebreit & Debbie Mumm period (thankfully short-lived) are represented.  I've always been a sucker for abstract watercolor looking flowers and prints.  Some vintage prints.  I had a long run of tropical prints & bought a ton of them.  I may be on the tailend of that supply but I could see buying more.  This time I'd likely buy thrifted shirts to cut up.  I went through a short 40s prints stretch and the last of those prints are disappearing too.  At the bottom is a blue and orange print from a piece of Indonesian yardage circa 1999.  Several sheets and pillow shams too. 




Definitely some early 90s calico, cherry print leftover from Brent's "food quilt", the ubiquitous sunflower print everyone owned & bright florals I bought for the Hoffman challenge one year probably about 2005 or 2006.  I love how the different eras of prints can still work together.


Some gifted fabrics, blue fabric with the butterfly (right) was a Hoffman challenge fabric, reclaimed red plaid from a skirt, the all important dot from the 90s, silly novelty prints (what was I thinking?).  That year I won an award in one of the Hoffman challenge divisions (best hand workmanship) for a crazy quilt and my piece traveled the USA,  My friend Rian won too and her piece traveled; although I think it was the previous year. 


Today's view from the end of the longarm.  Time to get back to it!  I'm using a felted blanket for the batting which gives the quilt a nice loft and interesting texture.  I like the weight too.

Join the Conversation!
Feeling inspired this new year?
💬💬💬




5 comments:

  1. Some quilt historian will scratch her head over this one in a few decades! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the blocks are big enough to get a good image of the prints. It’s an album of your quilting career, it tells quite a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hadn't really thought of that but you are right. I like this block size a lot. It helps I have a 6½" wide ruler so I can cut them quickly.

      Delete
  3. It’s such a happy quilt. I hope you’re going to keep it. It’s truly a living history!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!