Saturday, January 30, 2021

Being Domestic: Vegetarian Cooking!

 And just like that, sewing has taken a backseat to some cooking!  It's been at least 6 years and truth be told, more like 10 since I really did any real cooking.  I'm having a great time preparing more vegetarian styled dishes for Hawkins and me to enjoy & eat.  

This week I unpacked my new Hamilton Beach food processor.  At one time I had a deluxe Cuisinart food processor I absolutely adored.  It was super duty with a full rack of blades.  When I recently inquired about it, I was told it wasn't around any more.  Aw, that made me sad; but, life moves forward.  I can probably do about anything I want with this inexpensive Hamilton Beach; except slice thick slices or slice crinkled french fries.  

To test it out, I decided to chop Fresh Salsa.  Gosh, that was easy and fun!  I'm surprised I haven't made it before now.  It's great on eggs or mixed with avocados or atop salad or even with chips because no one has ever thought of that idea.  

If you want some suggested guidelines, Pinterest is full of recipes.  I used this Easy Salsa from the forkedspoon.com.  It's a large amount and I halved it with Hawkins. 



My other plan for the food processor is to assemble Salad Kits.  I'll have a ready salad at any moment and I can easily add leftover vegetables as they are available for unlimited salads. 

I sliced and diced enough ingredients for 2 kits: one for me & one for Hawkins. 


These Banana Bites are a quick 3 ingredient treat.  I like them but Hawkins said they weren't the effort.  Basically you mash very ripe bananas with oatmeal and chocolate chips; then bake.  I also added cinnamon and some craisins.  They satisfy a tiny sweet tooth. 



If you haven't discovered all the great dishes you can build around sweet potatoes, you are missing an opportunity.

My favorite way to fix them is to slice, add a garlic herb butter and bake.  Here they are ready for the oven.  I also like to cube them, bake and use as an ingredient in my bean burritos. 

For a good recipe, check out Garlic Parmesan Roasted Sweet Potatoes on eatwell.101.com   
This recipe motivated me to reconsider the lowly sweet potato's value! 



Do you have a mouthwatering vegetarian recipe to share?



Pretty January color!  
Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE sweet potatoes! I like to have my son (my processor!) slice them into fry size, sprinkle them with the seasoning salt from Aldi and bake until crispy tender and hot bubbly. Oh they are so good! If you don't like spicy, use less of the seasoning. Or use your own favorite, but the combination Aldi's has is really a good one. I use it on all kinds of potatoes and vegetables and bake in the oven. And I'm not even a cook. =) Also really good from a air fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During this shut in I started making beans - many days for lunch we have had some sort of bean, with different vegetables, and flavors - usually served with rice. I soak them overnight, then cook in the instant pot. Make enough usually for 3-5 days at a time. After a day or two I add some different vegetables to liven them up again. Black beans, navy beans, yellow peas, lima beans, chick peas, anything I could get. In the beginning I was just putting in celery, onion, and carrots but now put in lots of different things. But try to limit it to three or four at a time. Spinach, fennel, tomato, snap peas - sometimes canned, but mostly fresh now that it is easier to get things. Butternut squash when they were grown in garden last season were nice too. I think I added pasta to that batch.

    Sometimes I cook the beans just in water, them I can save and use the aquafaba for something fun like churn free ice cream or for egg replacement. If you haven't yet do experiment with aquafaba!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!