Friday, June 5, 2020

The Grateful Threads Project: Nine Patch Blocks

In 2014 I had the idea to start cutting a bunch of scraps into piles of 5" squares.  I was working with some friends to sew Nine Patch quilts for community service organizations.  It's a handy size and with all the charm square friendly patterns now available, it's nice to have an assortment on hand.  There are just loads of layouts for 9 Patch quilts.  You can check out my Pinterest board for many great ideas.




Last year when I worked with friends to sew the Angel Tree quilts, I remembered how useful the 5" charm squares had been for previous quilts.  I ended up cutting more squares.  When the Angel Tree quilts were finished, I still had a mountainouspile of 5" squares.



Now I am on a mission to finish any blocks, use any precut pieces and clear out piles of anything that has already had some work done to them.  Falling right in line is this big pile of 13" 9 patch blocks.


My original idea was to sew them adjacent to each other for 2 quilts.  But, yea, that was a little too muted and soft toned for even my tastes.  Then I got the idea to make them the center of some Economy blocks.  And by doing that I could potentially have enough blocks for 3 quilts.

To knock back the sweet flavor I pulled some dark blues and purples.  I think I will enjoy working this group of blocks now.   Like the pink log cabin quilts in my previous post, I'm using some vintage prints.  Maybe these quilts will also be chosen for sisters.  Who knows?




Join the Conversation?
What's your favorite way to set 9 patch blocks? 

6 comments:

  1. It's fascinating how different prints look when combined with many other prints! Love the colors you're working with, and the vintage fabrics bring a bit of nostalgia to your projects. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this summer has turned into the summer of vintage prints. They can be lovely & nostalgic as the same time.

      Delete
  2. I like the phrase "knock back the sweet". That was a good, descriptive choice. I look forward to seeing these. You are accomplishing a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See what happens when I read more! Ha! ha! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I’ve always liked the looks of the Economy Block. It’s great for scraps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!