Sunday, May 31, 2020

Machine Embroidery: A Swap and Butterflies

My friend Cindy and I did a little swap.  She had a few pieces of clothing in her Poshmark closet and I agreed to stitch some embroidery in exchange.

Cindy enjoys sewing little crossbody bags and the embroidery gives them a different look than what you normally see on-line.  I like to try some new designs so it turns out to be a win-win for both of us.

I spent Saturday embroidering the leg of a pair of denim jeans.  She'll cut them as she wants for her ideas. 







While I was looking through some of my designs, I pulled out a collection of butterflies I have from Anita Goodesign called Antique Butterflies.  It's a beautiful collection of appliqued and embroidered fantastical butterflies.  So lovely!  I've had the designs at least 7 or 8 years; unopened.  Here's a photo from the website showing a few of the butterflies.  The 12 different butterflies are very large; some up to 8 x 10 inches.



I originally purchased these designs to use on some grey wool I had cut in large rectangles and squares for a king sized quilt in the early 1990s.  The fabric was the tailend of the inventory from my fabric store in the 1980s.  I still have the large unpieced blocks.  Last year I pulled them out and added some vintage crochet pieces in the box with them.  I seem to be thinking an old fashioned look would suit the wool.  

I should at least try stitching one of the butterflies to see if I even like the process. I can always turn it into a pillow. Wouldn't it be so gratifying to use the wool I've had so long?  This would be a quilt for me. I'm going to seriously consider it for a summer project.  

Join the Conversation!
Do you have a long standing project you could finish this year? 







4 comments:

  1. Those butterflies would be gorgeous on denim, too. I have a pair of embroidered jeans that I love, and I get tons of comments on them each time I wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used the jeans because Cindy wanted denim. I haven't ever embroidered a whole pair of them or even a skirt. I could certainly add it to the list!

      Before I fiddle the day away I think I will stitch one and see what is involved. It is such a struggle to decide about machine embroidery. What fabric? What threads? What will I do with it when finished? Who will like it? I don't like ending up with samples that just clog up my drawers.
      I'm determined this year to pull them out and use them for pillows or tote bags or just something!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited to see these embroideries... they are so, so pretty! Thank you, Debra, for stitching these for me. These pieces will make my bags dance and dazzle! Love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mailed them today so they should arrive shortly!

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!