Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Grateful Threads Project: Beatrix Potter Quilt Pieced

I'm finishing this week on a high note!  I have the Beatrix Potter quilt top pieced.  It's a beautiful blend of subtle vintage prints.

I had a scrap exchange with a friend in my church stitching group who was "sick and tired of these scraps".  I get it!  We all get tired of the same fabrics after awhile.  I sorted through the box pulling the calm prints for this quilt.  I sprinkled in a lively one here and there to go with the little Beatrix Potter images which were also vintage prints & have a touch of color.

The stitching group often gets donations of deceased estate sewing and craft supplies.  I happened to be at a meeting when a large selection arrived.  The ladies in charge of the fabric storage room generously handed a few boxes my way instead of integrating them into the existing inventory.  They were mostly vintage prints and projects sewn with the older prints rarely sell at the church's annual fall market.

In keeping with the vintage vibe I will probably use one of my vintage sheets for the backing.   I now have a roll of white batting so I have the luxury of not worrying about thrifted fleece blankets showing through the top.  It will be lovely when finished.


It's 72 x 86 with 15" blocks

It's been ages since I stitched sashing with posts.  I like sashing as a way to define blocks and they can be very handy when working to a specific desired overall measurement. 

I'm taking the weekend off.  Ha! Ha!  No one believes that!  What I mean is that I am hand stitching more on my raw edge collages & playing with some machine embroidery designs.  

Join the Conversation! 
Do you like sewing log cabin blocks? 




2 comments:

  1. I do like the finished top. Vintage fabrics are fun, and I have some in my stash, though not too many, surprisingly. I guess I mostly buy things that don't age. I think that's because my upbringing was to buy clothing that wasn't trendy, but would always look good, and I've tended to do that with fabrics, too. It makes it easy to put scraps and small yardage together! I like the squares behind the Beatrix Potter, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was buying fabrics I tended to just buy fabrics I liked. I figured if I pleased myself, I would enjoy working with them. But, those days are far in the past. Now I am working mainly with gifted fabrics. So, I use what I have and am challenged to make it all work out well. I'm always surprised how well the old calicoes work with some of the newer fabrics. I think when you try to only use the vintage fabrics together the mix looks dated.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!