Friday, August 9, 2019

Sure, I'll buy that!

On Fridays I have a standing appointment near a very good Goodwill store in an upscale neighborhood.  I make a point of stopping & I can usually find something to buy.  Today was no exception.  My main focus lately is accumulating fleece blankets for batting.  Once inside the store I headed straight to the bathroom.  I have to get that out of the way for my power shopping, right?

In the staging area ready for distribution to the floor was the household goods rack.  Of course I'm going to take a look & then take what I want.  I like to help the merchandise stockers that way!  Less for them to put out, you know!

These are both brand new Michael Miller fabrics.  The cowboy print is 9 yards (in 3 lengths) and the sports print is 6½ yards (in 3 lengths).  I paid about $18 so that averages about $1.20/yard.  Michael Miller fabrics retail about $10/yard. 

Sure, I'll buy that! 



Not too shabby in the fleece blanket department either.  
Four Large lap sized blankets
and a King sized blanket!  
(I use blankets for batting in my quilts.) 

Total $16.00  

Sure, I'll buy that! 



What's your best sewing supply score from the thrift store?

Please Join the Conversation!  💬💬
I'd love to hear your story!

Have a Creative Day, Y'All! 

7 comments:

  1. I guess my best sewing supply score at a thrift store is a tie. Once I scored a still-shrink-wrapped bolt of orange Riley Blake ombré cotton (can’t remember if it was 8 or 10 yards) for 7.99. I believe I got a 20% senior discount on that, too. And the previous score was in my crazy-quilting/lace-selling days when I got reels and reels (cardboard reels) of vintage lace for a grand total of $11. I remember it worked out to less than 50 cents per reel/bolt. You got quite a score, too!! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those kinds of deals! What fun! It's like a High! :-)

      The cashier said about the fabric, "I don't want to charge you too much!" I didn't want her to charge me too much either! Each 3 yd length was $2.99.
      Fabric at the thrift store can be pretty hit or miss. I only buy if it is a really good deal and I can use it immediately. It's not like I don't have a huge supply already! :-)

      Delete
  2. When I said “tie” above, I meant a tie for first place! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our stores rarely have anything sewing related, or nothing I would want, at least, but occasionally there is something. I bought an antique Featherweight card table for $25. It was the last money in my account for the month, and I didn't hesitate to spend it on something I'd wanted forever, and never expected to find at an affordable price! That was here at a KARM store - rescue mission store. Their prices on everything are higher now, but it was a great day THAT day! I put my Viking on top of it and it is the perfect height. It has the whole removable thing for the FW, but I haven't put mine in it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I meant to also say you got some great fabrics for boys quilts and a steal of a deal!

      Delete
    2. A long time ago (70s) I was newly married to my 1st husband & we were living in WI. It was popular to go to farm auctions. So off we went to an auction. I spotted a treadle in a nice wooden table. The auctioneer started it off at $10 & being green, I shot my arm up & said $15. Sold! I’m sure the old farmers were getting a snort out of the city girl. I distinctly remember Steve saying, “why did you bid higher? Clearly no one wanted it at $10!”
      We carted that thing around until the late 1990s when I finally donated it.

      Ha! Ha! It makes life interesting!

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!