Monday, January 14, 2019

Coins Quilt: Fabrics Cut

I'm very pleased with my progress on the upcoming Coins quilt.  The schematic is here.

I think I will like this new idea of cutting everything into a "kit" before sewing.  I am also writing specific notes.  My plan is to sew this quilt before the ink dries on the page but sometimes that is not always possible!  Then, it's good to have notes.

Out of my small collection of yellow vintage pillowcases I was able to cut pieces for a patched backing. It was quite exciting to cut these pieces.  Because they have been washed numerous times they are soft and delicate.  Their floral feminine charm touches my heart.

I wrote notes instructing my future self which pieces should be sewn together.



Out of a few blue pillowcases I cut the lengths for the sashing.  I decided to stay with blue exclusively.  My goal for this series of quilts is to stay with a very narrow color focus.  The white & pink rosebud sheeting will be the quilt's binding.


From the group of pinks, whites and soft yellow fabrics left from my 1000 Triangle Pyramid quilt, I was able to add a few more pieces and cut all the coin strips I will probably need for the 5 lengths.  I had originally planned to have blue mixed in but decided the quilt's structure would be blue and that would be enough for this quilt.  Again, I am trying to edit this series carefully.


These fabrics have been kicking around my fabric stash for a long time.  I am eager to use them as the inner and outer borders for my coins quilt.


Notes, Notes!  Feeling so accomplished here! 


The leftover blues that were not chosen for this coins quilt will be sewn into their own improvisational quilt.  I can hardly wait! 


What a beautiful process!  Working little by little with a select group of fabrics, letting the others hide out in storage and focusing on quilt designs purposely chosen to suit the colors feels like such an accomplishment.  I'm not hauling out all the blue boxes or piling up every pink fabric I own trying to make decisions.  I'm just working with a few until they are sewn into wonderful quilts and artwork.  

How is your studio work going this week?
Are you discovering new ways to work?
Please share! 

Have a Creative Day Y'All! 




1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I think blogger ate my comment! Basically, I said that I like what you're doing! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!