Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Improvisational Quilt: TShirts no. 2

Following quickly on the heels of the last TShirt Quilt is the next one.  It even uses some of the cut pieces that didn't make it into the last one.  I was able to stop by a neighborhood consignment store today and pick up a nice bundle of 80¢ tshirts for accent pieces.  The men's tshirts are usually the solid colors and the female's shirts are the printed ones.  It's a nice ying/yang representing the flourish a woman gives to a man's life.  Or some such nonsense.  :-)


Lots of great colors and designs (and saved from the landfill)


The 1st strip is sewn.  It sets the tone of the quilt. 


One of the new to me tshirts has a very handsome print.  


It's not always as it seems.  For a few of the tshirt fabrics, the back looked more appropriate for the quilt's tone than the front.  Flip that baby over! 


I'm going to experiment by using some scarves as the backing.  They are another good source of inexpensive fabric.  I can often find very large thrifted scarves for less than $3.00.  I think the scarves will pair nicely with the tshirt knits keeping the whole quilt soft and cozy.



So much fun!
at The Crimson Vagabond Roadshow 

3 comments:

  1. What great ideas you have. I look forward to seeing both sides of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drape on these quilts must be wonderful. Are you using some kind of stabilizer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No stabilizer. I quilted a few for hire with stabilizer and they were stiff. To me, it defeats the knit fabric's best quality. Back in the day, I also overquilted some when I was working with a friend to market some on etsy. I learned a lesson there too.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!