Monday, July 16, 2018

Patchwork Shawl in Progress

It was too hot to be outside yesterday and I was tired of my daily routine.  After church and a nice lunch, I decided to tackle a pile of tshirts I recently bought along with some old faithfuls that have been around the studio awhile.  I tried earlier to stitch some scarves/shawls but they always came out a little too stiff.  I'll have to address them at some point but right now they are languishing in the UFO pile.   

For this experiment I am stitching pieces of knit onto a knit backing.  No batting, no stiff cottons.  
I'm staying with fairly large patches as the 1st layer.  I have visions of adding some sparkly small patches as the 2nd layer.  I also have visions of a big knit ruffled edging.  I may try to harvest that off some pre-existing clothes or experiment with my ruffler attachment.  

I've discovered I enjoy buying little kid's tshirts.  They have some fun quirky motifs and I don't have a lot of fabric to deal with once they are cut up.  Plus, I can usually buy them for pennies on the dollar.  Recently I bought a stack at a garage sale with the intention of using the motifs as little focal points on various projects.  Why not have a little fun, right?  I've included a cat in 3D glasses already on this shawl!  :-)

So many possibilities! 





Have a Creative Day, Y'All! 

3 comments:

  1. How interesting that's going to be! I love the cat - children's t-shirts are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!