Sunday, July 22, 2018

Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart

I had a lovely Sunday touring the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in downtown Houston.  It was a docent led tour so there was plenty of wonderful information.  It's a beautiful church where I spent a little time out of the dreadful 100° Houston heat.

The mission of the architectural firm was to build a long-lasting structure that would show the Heart of Christ in the Heart of Houston. 


My favorites were the statues of the Saints and the statue of Virgin Mother and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.


Photo of Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart - Houston, TX, United States

The wooden background is painted to give the illusion of light reflected.  There are 2 side windows but that is the only light coming in on either sculpture.

I loved the statues on the side walls of the cathedral.  There were 3 on each side with a prayer station below them. 


Saint Juan Diego


Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton


Saint Martin De Porres


Saint Joseph


Saint Therese of Lisieux


St. Anthony of Padua




Such a beautiful space!

I am so happy to have returned to Houston. 
I love opportunities to be a tourist in my own hometown.






1 comment:

  1. It is beautiful, thanks for sharing it. I don't understand the Co-Cathedral part. Why isn't it just Cathedral? I read the inscription, thinking it would tell me, but maybe I'm too dense to get it. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!