Monday, June 18, 2018

Reconstructed Gathered Skirt

Several years ago I happened on a group of size 3X cotton hawaiian print shirts at Goodwill.  Recently I deconstructed them and used the backs for a pieced back on one of my strip quilts.  The fronts remained.  They seemed to be calling to me lately so I designed a vertical patchwork that I could gather into a skirt.  I'm in love!  So cool and summery for the Houston heat.



The gathers which are really tiny pleats were sewn with a ruffler.  I had to get out my Janome 6500 because the 1600P won't take the ruffler attachment.  It's been awhile since I've used my 6500 but I'm glad I have it for garment sewing. 







In lieu of a zipper I made a button placket.  I harvested the wood look buttons off something else earlier in the year.  Those 3 buttons which is exactly how many I needed were waiting on my cutting table for this skirt!  The buttonholes were stitched on my embroidery machine in less than 1 minute per buttonhole.  I love that!

Now I'll need to design a creative top to wear with my gathered skirt!

Have a Creative Day, Y'All!

6 comments:

  1. I love this, Debra! Those wooden buttons were perfect - what a great save.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun and whimsical! You’re sure to get tons of swoons and compliments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. Most people probably think I'm just a nutcase, if they notice at all. :-)

      Delete
  3. This is one of your better designs and I just love the dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!