Saturday, January 27, 2018

Boro Patch & Raw Edge Shawl

When I bought my 1st embroidery machine I thought it might be fun to embroider scarves.  I had a faux pashmini scarf I wanted to wear to an event.  I envisioned a nice scroll design across both ends.  As an inexperienced embroiderer I didn't realize how thin and fluid the scarf would be in the embroidery hoop.  I stitched the scarf but it didn't look great.  Then one day while in a hurry I scorched it.  Not to be undone by my experiences with the scarf, I decided to take another run at it with some raw edge strips. 


The flimsiness of the scarf didn't work well with the longarm either.  It began to noticeably draw up on the sides.  And I began to think I was wasting my time.  So it went in the UFO pile.

Yesterday I remembered it and decided to have another go at it! 
This time I used a very thin batting and multi patched backing. 
One lesson I've learned about raw edge work is that it is good to have a liner between the strips and the batting.  In the beginning I was composing directly on the batting and sometimes I would find gaps & always after I had taken the piece off the longarm, it seemed.

For this project, the gaps are a good design element.  I want the aqua to show.

I decided the scrolls would have to go.  I also couldn't envision a whole scarf of black strips.  I expanded the color palette to my favorite colors and added patches with the strips.

I love the progress so far!





I'm pleased I took a 3rd attempt at this scarf!  Between the time I scorched this scarf and today I have purchased about 8 more colorful faux pashmini scarves.  They are about $3 at the thrift store.  Maybe they would like to become fanciful patchwork shawls too. 

***

Detail,  Bulletin Board of Life
2012
Private Collection
Houston TX
©Debra L. Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!