Thursday, February 4, 2021

Park at Hughes Landing & Bricks Layout

I met a client/friend in The Woodlands yesterday.  She was staying in a very pretty newly developed park area so while I waited for her I took some pictures.  The area is called Hughes Landing and is developed by the Hughes Corporation (of the famed Howard Hughes).  Great public art with a body of water.

These sculptures are Fenris Glacier, Karale Glacier and Midgard Glacier by Julie Speidel.  Measuring 10' tall out of stainless steel, they are named after glaciers in Greenland.  Clearly, we don't have glaciers in Houston but I immediately recognized them as glaciers even though I have never seen one in person.  


While walking along one of the sidewalks I noticed the brick layout.  Of course I did! Quilt patterns are everywhere.  I'm sure they consulted some notable quilting books before laying that sidewalk.  😎😎

I've been mindlessly (I mean meditatively) sewing pairs of bricks together in 2 row formations just like this sidewalk for a future scrap quilt.  I immediately came home and laid out the same staggered arrangement to see how it would look in multi-fabrics.  I'm clever like that.



It's a little more dramatic in the sidewalk solid colored layout but the multi-fabrics help me scrapbust my stash.  It will be good for the longarm since I won't have to match the seams on alternating rows.  Two rows are already sewn and matched so I can offset the following 2 rows.






Nothing like Mallard Ducks on an early spring day! 

Join the Conversation!

💬💬💬

6 comments:

  1. What a fun outing & intriguing sculptures! I'm curious... what size are your quilt bricks? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of beautiful photographs. That bricks layout makes it more interesting than the straight columns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so too. I'm also thinking now a solid colored quilt might be added to the list.

      Delete
  3. So funny... I see pictures of mallards and what I think about is green duck poop on my golf shoes and ball. Yech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely place to live. Is it high rise buildings? That's a lifestyle I don't know, but I've wondered about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!