Monday, November 18, 2019

Studio Dress Progress

I'm trying to focus all the creative energy in my studio!  The struggle is real.

I cut and fused the Studio Dress today.  It's basically a long hooded sweatshirt.  It could possibly be the best piece of clothing ever invented.  I could hardly believe how easily I cut my pink hoodie.  A few years ago I would have stuttered and stammered.  I'll contribute my courage to the neighborhood thrift store's abundance of clothes.  Mess something up, there are 10 to replace it.  A bit of a No Brainer, if you will.


It looks wide & it probably is; but, I'd rather cut it narrow after I've patched it than be too narrow going on the longarm.


I've left both sides open so the Dress can lay flat.  I'll probably trim that wide sleeve to a more moderate width before seaming it closed.

To avoid bulk with fleece I butt the edges and cover with fusible interfacing strips.  I do this when I combine large thrifted fleece blankets for batting.  It's quick and keeps all the pieces in place well.  The front and back will be patched so no one will see the fused strips.

I pieced the yardage for the Patchwork Coat.  I may have overdone the piecing.  Before anything gets cut, I'll lay out the pattern pieces to check.  Next I will need to come up with something to do with the quilted scraps.  Maybe some kind of organic shapes stitched to a background with embroidery stitches or bias tape.  ???   Oh!  that sounds fun!



I'm unsure why but I love the popular overprinted designs and fabrics with writing or implied words.

Please Join the Conversation! 

💬💬💬


6 comments:

  1. I know you have different plans for the hoodie dress but I like the simplicity of the white interfacing strips with the pink,gray & black. I know it will be a knockout when you're done! The pieced yardage for the coat looks to be another winner too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- looks like color blocks. It would definitely be a fun idea to pursue with other pieces. Unfortunately, the underside of the gray and black fleece is pretty nubby and needs to be covered. I originally bought them to be batting inside patchwork jackets so didn't mind the nubs but I wouldn't want to wear them with the nubs exposed.

      Delete
  2. Interesting ideas! I like having a visual now. I, too, thought the white strips were part of the piecing, at first. What is an "organic" shape, as used in your post. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organic like a fried egg shape. I'm thinking I can program the embroidery machine to applique some shapes for me. I end up with a lot of scraps from the sides of the tshirts and the sleeves. The sleeves can be cut into rectangles but the sides are usually seamed and flared so that piece isn't good for patchwork. It could be used for some applique though. So could the tucked sections on a blouse or some pleated area.

      Delete
  3. I really like the color block look of your tunic, and I’m interested to see what you do with it next. I can imagine this being worn with with deep slits up the sides over leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't embraced leggings. Probably jeans for me! and it's long enough to be a real dress that hits a bit below the knee. I think it could morph all kinds of ways once I get the first one finished. I have the lining yardage just about sewn. That is eating up a lot of tshirts.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!