Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Machine Embroidery: Old New Idea

I was in an on-line art stitching group sometime around 2010 & was experimenting with the idea of using my embroidery machine to quilt layers.  It's an idea I still like and want to experiment more with it.

Yesterday's work is the most intense embroider/quilting I have done to a surface.  I am over the moon with it!  The additional layer of the thread on the surface is phenomenal.  The way the thread anchors and blends the fabrics really was a surprise outcome.

I stitched a few small pieces which I'll show later when they are completely stretched on their canvases.
Then I jumped in with the larger compositions.  I used a craptastic UFO wallhanging that didn't work well for the background. It worked superbly here!
I like the idea of reuse/redo so if something is already started, I am inclined to grab it and start from where it is for the next piece.


this will finish at 16 x 20 inches


The hooping of the fabric for the embroidery is a bit tricky.  I wasn't too concerned the stitching overlapped.  In some ways, I like it more.  I could even experiment further with that portion of the idea & make it a focal point. 


The lighter quilting lines in the background are nice.  The leaves are machine embroidered.  It was a patch already on the background so I just built around it.

I generally had 2 pieces stitching all day.  While one piece was on the machine, I was arranging the 2nd piece.
This next piece is almost ready for stretching.  A few small areas missed their stitches so I'll write a little program that stitches a small section and hoop that area for stitches.  Otherwise, if I used the larger program I used yesterday, I would be covering an 8 x 12 area and overlapping the stitching.

When stretched this piece will measure 24 x 32 inches.






   If I were to name this technique, I would call it Modern Boro Stitching. 

I plan to debut these pieces at Turtle Creek this weekend. 
 I hope they find happy homes! 



2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes! The stitching does add so much, Debra, blending all elements and giving a beautiful textured surface. Love all the layers going on here, as well as your name for it. This is real contemporary fiber art and I love that these pieces are stretched with no frames. Exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really excited about this idea too! I think it has all kinds of great possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!