Monday, August 24, 2020

Still Slugging it Out with Fabrics

 I am 2 boxes short of having reviewed all my fabric boxes.  Take about a trip through fabric history.  It turns out I had a lot of dusty toned fabrics from the 1990s taking up space.  

I remember a pretty good sized Free Haul I picked up outside an interior design store once.  The other big haul came when I was in design school and vendors dropped off samples to our resource room.  Plenty from both hauls were still waiting for their 15 Minutes of Fame (in 2020).  

I kept a nice sized stack and have decided to make a quilt for myself.  I've never really sewn anything from the fabric all these years.  I still have some fond memories of those dusty colors.  I'm actually a little excited to sew with them!  We'll see how that plays out.  I'm sure you'll recognize the color palette. 

I think one of the reasons they are still a little dear to me is because back in the 1980s when I had "my colors" done, this is the basic palette I am supposed to wear for my complexion.  I've built a wardrobe many times over based on this palette.  It always feels right to me.



My SUV is already full but I'm going to squeeze these bags in.  Drop off is slated for tomorrow! 



Empty boxes!  Yea! 


One advantage of the reorganization -- I now have all the large blankets for batting and miscellaneous pillow forms corralled in one place.   


A shelf with fabrics designated for Community Quilts.  This shelf itself could take 3-5 years to sew into quilts.  Oy vey! 


Looking from the bathroom door into the master bedroom (now the fabric storage room).   It's a Huge Improvement!  Huge.   That chair and ottoman still need to be recovered or redonated.  It's a pretty decent set.  Maybe I can decide on fabric and knock that off the To Do list soon.  Elvis, my pit bull, likes the cool tile floor. 


T-Shirts for T-Shirt quilts.  I'll probably spend a good deal of time sewing these tubs down in 2021.  I can get away with big improv squares and rectangles with the knits.  And, they are fun! 


I washed a stack of pretty white linens.  I might as well use them as store them.  They'll get a hot iron & some starch one evening when I am too tired to do anything else.

The 2nd shelf in my sewing studio alcove paired with finished quilt tops & backings.  They will be front & center on the longarm this fall & winter - headed to the Houston Furniture Bank. 

My friend Barbara and I have been quilting together for about 15 years.  Sometime along the way I bought this fabric on some super sale.  I've lost count of how many quilts we've made with it.  I still see a bit here and there in some of her quilts she sends me for the community.  I was pretty pleased to say recently I thought we had used the last of it.  Guess I was wrong!  

I could probably sew non-stop with blue fabric in 2021 & not use all the blue cotton I own.  Now there's a challenge!  😎😎

It feels so good to have some organization!  WOW!  What a treat!  

Pray the expected Hurricanes bypass Houston.  I'm in the northwestern corner of Houston.  Very hopeful the hurricanes just dump a little rain and nothing else.

Join the Conversation!

💬💬💬

3 comments:

  1. I love those dusty solids...they will make a wonderful quilt. I immediately thought of Amish quilts. Big Congratulations on sorting out all your much stuff and moving it along its life path! You are making me think about certain aspects of MY accumulation that I should perhaps give thought to purging....I mean, at a certain point one looks at their age (yikes) and thinks "am I really going to be able to sew all this into something given the time that I possibly have left?" Gives one a little pause....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It stands to reason that you would have a fabric storage ROOM. Hah! I love those dusty colors, surely they will make a wonderful quilt for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job reorganizing your stash into a workable size. Seen together, that palette of dusty colors looks nice: I’m sure you’ll produce something great with that batch. We know that eventually those colors will come back into fashion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!